Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 13, 2021

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. Students of mine created this wonderful Halloween basket for Mattie. Mattie had a mixed reaction to this gift. His first reaction was great sadness and tears, as I think the basket reminded him that he had cancer, was in the hospital, and that his life looked very different from his friends. After going through all those emotions, Mattie then started playing with the basket. Which is the photo I captured here! I also notice the big blue chair in the background. That was the chair I slept in most nights when Mattie was hospitalized. It doesn't bring back happy memories seeing it. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 44,643,913
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 718,115


It was another fun day on the farm. We still have a team of people here working on weeding, cutting dead limbs, and shaping shrubs and bushes. The clean up here is intense. So far they have carted away four trucks worth of debris. That is how overgrown and unkept things were. Perhaps it is a look, but when weeds are strangling out actual plants, I have an issue.

This morning, I took Sunny on a walk. When I tell you that three foxes passed us, I am NOT kidding you. 

Do you see this one brazen fox? He was sitting on someone's front lawn and remained there despite our presence. At one point, the fox just sat on the lawn, basking in the sunshine, as if he lived in this house. 
Our newest issue is a horrible smell coming from a shower drain. Whatever the plumber did yesterday did not rectify the situation. So I am trying to analyze this from all angles. Given the lack of care this house received from the former owners, I am now worried about the house's septic system. Though we would have preferred to be on a public sewer system, this isn't how it works once you move outside the beltway of Washington, DC. In fact, I am learning that the majority of the US is on septic versus a public system. In any case, I am nowt trying to get a reputable company here to do a septic inspection and to help pin point this smell. All I know is the smell is subtly intense, if that is even an accurate description. I notice it and it bothers me and I also feel this can't be healthy especially for Peter who works near this bathroom all day. 

Days here are just not peaceful. I jump from one chore to the other, and I feel unable to settle into a routine, much less find time to focus on work. My form of therapy is two fold... chocolate and crafts! Not necessarily together, but you get the idea. 

There is this tiny ledge over the front door. I feel this makes the perfect place to do seasonally themed displays. So today I worked on this. I got battery powered candles that have a remote control to them. So with the remote I can switch on the candles and they have a nice twinkle in the evening. 


A close up!






No comments: