Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 28, 2022

Monday, February 28, 2022

Monday, February 28, 2022

Today's picture was taken in February of 2008, only five months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Which is hard to believe. In typical Mattie fashion, he was building all sorts of things in our living room. This plane included! He loved Legos and Tinker Toys and there was never a dull moment in our living and dining rooms when Mattie was alive. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 79,025,644
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 949,957


Take a look at these two pals! Typically Indie and Sunny co-exist but not next to each other. Last night, they were both with us while watching TV. 
In fact, Indie joined Sunny on his bed. We were in shock, which is why I photographed the moment!
Meanwhile we received a magazine from Children's Hospital at Sinai today. One of the highlights was an honor roll of donors. I am proud to say that Mattie Miracle is at the Visionary Level!
I am not sure why I was surprised by this, maybe because I never really sit back and reflect on our donations in totality. But it is true we are most definitely at the $100,000 range for this institution. 

It was another crazy day here on the farm. My dad's occupational therapist came over this morning. She got to see exactly what I see and that is my dad is chronically exhausted. He was truly luggage and could hardly keep it eyes open. He did try to comply and walk ten minutes with her and do some arm exercises but his heart rate was high and he looked like he was dragging. 

However, even in that state, I had to get him up and to the car, because I was taking my mom for a CT scan of her lungs. Peter is busy working and I can't leave my dad home to his own devices. I think it is hysterical that the home health agency thinks I am fearful of taking my dad out! Not only do I take him out, I am dragging him to all sorts of things. 

After the CT scan, I took my parents out to lunch. I had to run back and forth to the bathroom so often during lunch, my step count was impressive! There is no peace, not a moment to just sit and do anything without jumping about. Needless to say at times I get very frustrated, very angry, and will just start screaming. That is NOT my typical way of interacting with the world, but I find that is what happens as a result of meeting everyone else's needs during every waking hour of my life. 

No comments: