Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 3, 2022

Thursday, March 3, 2022

Thursday, March 3, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2002. Mattie was about 5 or 6 days old and we took him home for the first time. Before we got into the car, I snapped a photo of Peter and Mattie together in front of Virginia Hospital Center. Ironically this was the hospital in which Mattie was born and also diagnosed with cancer. 



Quote of the day: You treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win - no matter what the outcome. ~ Patch Adams


My morning was a nightmare. I got up early because I had to take my dad for his follow up primary care doctor appointment. When I got to his bedroom this morning, he was already up and in the bathroom. Very disoriented and very agitated. He had urinated all over the floor. I did get him into the shower, but while in the shower he pooped. It truly looked like a crime scene. I took photos, but will spare you the visuals. While pooping, he was screaming, and also dry heaving. When I got him out of the shower, he was white as a ghost and said he felt nauseous. ALL NOT GOOD SIGNS.

He did have breakfast and then we whisked him to the doctor's appointment. This doctor, as my faithful readers know, I call Dopey Doo! Dopey lived up to his name yet again today. I highlighted to the doctor my concern about my dad's exhaustion, everything that happened today, and the fact that my dad sleeps the entire day, and has no appetite. Do you know that the doctor told me that my dad should consult a sleep doctor because he probably has sleep apnea? It gets better, he even implied that I should switch his high blood pressure meds to the evening rather than the morning, so prevent him from getting tired. Mind you I told him I tried switching the timing of the meds before and it never mattered. He could tell I was getting agitated with him, actually practically battling him and talking him down. I felt he wasn't LISTENING and getting my caregiver observations and perspectives on the significant decline in my dad's energy level and behavior. 

After he dismissed us and told us to follow up with him again in four weeks, I loaded my parents into the car and noticed I had a voice mail. It was from my dad's cardiology office. I pestered them yesterday because I wanted my dad's heart monitor results. They apparently called the heart monitor company today and the company told them my dad's results constituted a medical emergency. He has a level two heart block, which means that the electrical signals between his atria and ventricles can intermittently fail to conduct. In fact in his case the heart monitor found that for periods of three seconds of so, his heart actually wasn't beating. A serious issue! The cardiology office asked if my dad was symptomatic. So I told them about his extreme exhaustion and their response was that I should get my dad to the nearest emergency room and quickly. 

I had to decide where to go. My initial instinct was Mattie's hospital. But that was too far away, so I elected to take my dad to Virginia Hospital Center. It was the BEST decision I made all week. Totally amazing place. I would give them an A+ today. As soon as I walked my parents into the ER, they immediately checked my dad in, put him in a wheelchair, and we were taken to an ER room. We were in the ER from 1pm to 8pm. At 8pm, my dad was admitted to a floor and I stayed with him until 10pm. He has to get a pacemaker put in tomorrow afternoon. 

All of this is very confusing for my dad and though I wanted to stay the night in the hospital with him, I had my mom in tow and neither one of us ate a meal accept for breakfast today. So I will return to the hospital alone at 9am on Friday.

They couldn't do enough for us in the ER. Everyone from doctors, residents, nurses, and techs were fabulous! Competent and compassionate. A special shout out goes to the ER's patient liaison, Althea. Althea is from South Africa and is a God sent. She introduced herself to us early on, and got my mom and I tea, my dad food, and helped us navigate through the ER. 

It wasn't only tasks that she helped with, what I was so impressed with was her listening skills, her true desire to help people, and her love and respect for all her patients. She caught my attention and even when I took my dad up to the hospital unit for admission, Althea sat with my mom in the ER so she wasn't by herself. Who does this? The answer is a VERY SPECIAL person! 


Hospital life is very taxing and my mom was wiped out. We have suggested to her that she stay home tomorrow and that I will spend the day in the hospital. 

I am signing off, as it is 11:30pm, I haven't eaten since breakfast, and I have to get up at 6am.





No comments: