Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 27, 2022

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2008. That day Mattie's kindergarten class went on a field trip to Martha's Table in the city. Their goal was to work on assembling peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the homeless. I signed myself up that day to be a helper and rode the bus with the teachers and the children. Naturally I snapped photos of the adventure! After the sandwich making was done, Mattie began helping to clean up. You can see him with his "girlfriend," Charlotte. They were busy at work and as always working together. They made a good team and brought out the best in each other. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 78,937,817
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 948,397


This afternoon, after doing my morning tasks and grocery shopping, I took Sunny for a walk. Today was a good weather day and Sunny is very eager to walk in the woods all around our neighborhood. However, in August of 2019, while visiting my in-law's home in Massachusetts, I took Sunny for a walk in their woods and got VERY lost. So lost that I had to track down a hiker in the woods to help me get oriented and out of the woods. I was miles from their home and Peter had to pick me up by car. Needless to say, after that experience, I am always leery about going into the woods alone. Particularly since I have a bad sense of direction. 

There are many wonderful paths (like this one) to walk on near our home. I am eager to explore them one weekend, when Peter has time. Unfortunately today Peter was working on unpacking more boxes that belong to my parent's that are stacked in the basement. Honestly if it weren't for Peter, my parents would never get unpacked. I am just too worn out from moving myself and them, much less to unpack and deal with boxes. 
I walked on this pathway because there was only one way in and out. Making it impossible to get lost. However, at some point along the walk, I came to a fork in the path and told Sunny we had to turn around. 









Nonetheless, I look forward to exploring these woods and hopefully getting to know them just like I know Roosevelt Island. Roosevelt Island was our city haven, and now more than ever, I need a place of greenery to escape to for an hour of peace. 



No comments: