Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 8, 2022

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was home between treatments and needing a sternotomy to remove tumors in his lungs. It was quite amazing that given all he was dealing with that he could smile, play, and even function. The average adult would be having a pity party in the corner, and it would be very understandable. But Mattie's courage, stamina, and love of life always came shining through even in the toughest hours. 

As you can see, our living and dining rooms were filled with car and train tracks. Our home was filled to capacity with all sort of things to keep Mattie busy. I will never forget those days, as Peter and I worked around the clock to be everything to Mattie.... doctor, nurse, therapist, teacher, parent, friend, and play companion. 


Quote of the day: No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ~ Charles Dickens


What a beautiful quote by Charles Dickens! I never read it before, but I came upon it tonight and decided to include it on the blog. It is a reminder of the true importance in life. It is easy to forget this because we live in a world that evaluates us by certain measures, none of which involve providing care for another human being. 

I had a conference call today. All with working professionals. Naturally I got to hear what they are up to as well as hear about their summer plans. Once again in my life, I am faced with NOT being able to relate to others. When Mattie was ill and in treatment, I rarely interacted with the world. My world was the hospital and desperately finding a cure for Mattie's cancer. If it wasn't one of those two things, then it did not matter to me, and much of my life therefore fell by the wayside. 

Caring for my parents now, has many similarities. I very rarely do anything on my own. I can't plan a day, an outing, a lunch, etc, because my world is absorbed by my daily routine. It is hard not to feel depressed by this, to feel isolated, and frustrated. Some days I wonder how I did not crack up!

On top of everything else I have going on, Sunny is having a bad reaction to oral chemotherapy. He is listless, refuses to eat, and spends a good part of the day, hiding and sleeping. In essence this is NOT Sunny. The vet keeps implying that we just have to find the right pre-med drugs to give Sunny, so that he isn't wiped out by the chemo! Maybe, but the way I view it, is I can't handle ONE MORE THING. Since Sunny refuses eating, it is hard to get pills down him. But tonight I cooked turkey sausages and stuck pills inside the sausages. He ate it! Being creative and changing things up is important with a herding dog. They are smart and he is VERY suspicious of what we are feeding him now. For good reason, because whatever we are giving him from the vet is typically making him feel ill. 

No comments: