Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 6, 2022

Monday, June 6, 2022

Monday, June 6, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008. Mattie was six years old and it was a month before he was diagnosed with cancer. That weekend we took Mattie to Bethesda to meet a friend and take part in the town's festival. There were all sorts of activity tents set up for children and Mattie of course gravitated to the one where he got to create. Mattie loved to paint and he was very familiar with painting flower pots, as he learned to do this in preschool. To this day, I still have many of Mattie's flower pot creations. 




Quote of the day: The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. ~ Mark Twain


It was another chemo day for Sunny! As you can see, he IS NOT a happy camper. He hide under a bush today. Totally UNLIKE Sunny. The vet has upped his chemotherapy dosage, and will see if this is sustainable. By this evening, Sunny seems to have perked back up. Of course my constant fear is Sunny will be terribly nauseous and get diarrhea. Which is truly hard to manage in the house when dealing with so many other issues. In addition, I truly hate seeing Sunny sick. But I know we have to go through the process to see if it shrinks his tumors. 

Today Peter wanted a change of scenery, so he worked part of the day in the basement. The basement is a huge change of scenery because it is the one part of the house that I still haven't dealt with. I still have many items of my parents, which have not been unpacked. Nonetheless, the basement is one of Indie's favorite places to explore. Typical Indie, she sat right next to Peter as he was working. She is most definitely Peter's cat!









My mom has spent two years in California really unable to do much, as she was solely responsible for my dad's care. Unfortunately our lives on the East coast don't look much different than what was going on in Los Angeles. My dad needs around the clock assistance and supervision, making it very hard to have any sort of independence and a life. While he was at the memory care center today, I took my mom to an outdoor shopping mall and then I introduced her to True Food Kitchen. This is how they describe their restaurant...
We believe in food that works for you, to nourish you as healthfully as possible…without sacrificing flavor. Based on the anti-inflammatory food pyramid, the brainchild of our founder Dr. Andrew Weil, renowned doctor of integrative medicine, every single ingredient on our menu is carefully selected and hand-crafted into signature dishes that make eating well effortless, energizing and most importantly, full of flavor.

We ate outside, got to people watch and had a wonderful salad and flatbread, that we shared. Now if my mom wasn't here, I most definitely wouldn't have gone out. I would instead be working at the computer. It has been a real adjustment for me since my parent's moved in, because I rarely have time to focus, work, and think! Not being able to get work done makes me edgy and stressed out. Mainly because if I don't work, there is NO Mattie Miracle. It is a constant battle as I try to figure out this balancing act. But I know my mom needs a change of scenery, which is why, I knew I couldn't work today. I needed to come up with a plan. 

No comments: