Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 25, 2022

Friday, November 25, 2022

Friday, November 25, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. It was around Thanksgiving time and we took Mattie to Boston to celebrate the holiday with Peter's parents. While there, we took Mattie to an indoor playground. One of the areas had miniature golf. Peter was hoping to share this love with Mattie, but as you can see Mattie had his own way of playing. He was fascinated with the balls going into the holes, and was making up his own rules on the turf. 






Quote of the day: Just as it is impossible to explain childbirth to a woman who has never given birth, it is impossible to explain child loss to a person who has never lost a child. ~ Lynda Cheldlin Fell


My mom snapped this photo of me and my dad yesterday! I just downloaded it from her phone today. Not sure how I am smiling really as last night and tonight's dinner were a disaster. Not because of the food, but because my dad is extremely exhausted and is now not eating much. I have decided as of today to stop the Ritalin. As I feel he is having a paradoxical reaction, meaning an opposite reaction than what is intended. I tried contacting his doctor, but he is MIA, most likely because of Thanksgiving. So like with Mattie, I have to be the doctor of duty. As no one knows this patient better than me! 








The farmer, Angela, who I bought the turkey from, sent me a message today, asking me to consider doing a FaceBook post on her and the farm. So below was my creation of thanks! We are weekly customers of Angela's and she appreciates her loyal customers by giving us discounts and she even throws in smoked pig ears for Sunny! Which he LOVES!!!!
































I honestly don't know what happened today. It was like a blur. The one positive was I got out of the house and took Sunny for a walk in the woods. It was a wonderful escape and while walking, I called and spoke to Peter. It was a nice way to catch up. But it was a morning! My dad went to the bathroom and the next thing I knew, urine was all over the floor. It looked like a flood. He does this on a regular basis and I can talk to him about this every which way, but there is no retention, memory, understanding, or appreciation for the extra work this puts on me. Honestly I can't turn my back on him for a minute, because when I do, he is doing something questionable.... like putting his hands in the toilet bowl and then cleaning himself with that dirty water. DON'T get me started! It is a full time job, times TEN!!!!

Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and I am taking them to a special birthday celebration as well as high tea at the Ritz on Sunday. It all sounds lovely and I know my mom will enjoy it, but managing my dad on these outings is becoming very difficult. Case in point, before I served dinner tonight, I took him to the bathroom, in hopes that there would be no bathroom runs during dinner. Forget it! Thirty minutes into eating, he had to go to the bathroom. Not really to do anything, but he has conditioned himself that he needs the bathroom urgently while eating. I don't write about this often, but I need peace while eating. This jumping up and down to meet my parent's needs causes me issues with digestion. Two days in a row, I did not know whether dinner was going to come up or go down. There is never down time, and though I spoke to my dad about these bathroom crises, it is a lost cause. He is no longer rational or intact to process anyone else's feelings or needs. It is truly, truly a sad commentary.

No comments: