Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 22, 2022

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Tuesday, November 22, 2022 -- Mattie died 686 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old. I am not sure Mattie's fascination with our kitchen sink, but there you have it. He would request some times to sit in the sink, look out the window, and play with the items I used on a daily basis! 


Quote of the day: Grief is a curious thing, when it happens unexpectedly. It is a band-aid being ripped away, taking the top layer off a family. And the underbelly of a household is never pretty, ours no exception. ~ Jodi Picoult


This morning, I snapped some photos of the two painting we hung on Sunday. The local artist who painted them delivered them to us and she had them framed for us. I think the colors fit beautifully with the rest of our things. I told Kim, I love her work so much that I am looking forward to purchasing more of her pieces for our family room. 
I am not sure the photo does Kim's work justice. On an aside, you may notice the stuffed lioness on the couch? This lioness was given to me by my grandmother, while in was in college. She sent it to me before she suffered a stroke. Since I am born in July, my astrological sign is Leo. So my grandmother wanted me to know she was thinking of her lioness. No matter how many years go by, this lioness comes with me. 


I was determined to get to the post office today. These 400 orange envelopes are being mailed to our loyal Mattie Miracle supporters. It is thanks to these individuals that Mattie Miracle is able to accomplish all that it does. 


Peter left for Boston today. He will be spending a week there and celebrating Thanksgiving with his family. It is the challenge of geographic distance now, when family is not in one location. Meanwhile, whenever Peter goes away, my dad goes into some sort of hyper alert mode. He wants to know where Peter is, when he is coming back and so forth. He is persistent and will ask constantly. So now I have the dates marked in red on my dad's calendar, in hopes that this will cut down on the multiple questions. 

My dad had a follow up appointment today with the doctor. The doctor wanted to hear how the introduction of Ritalin is going. All I can say is.... it's not working. He doubled the dosage today and we will see if there is any change, but I am not holding my breath. Why this new drug? Well about two months ago my dad had an allergic reaction to a bug bite. It was so significant that he had to go on an oral steroid to stop the reaction. While on the steroid, my dad became a different person. He had more energy, was chatty, and far more alert and engaged with the world. So I told the doctor.... how do we get more of this?! The doctor doesn't want my dad on long-term steroid use, which I can appreciate, but so far Ritalin isn't even coming close to steroids. 

My dad is chronically exhausted and if I don't prod him to do things, he would sleep the day away. As his caregiver, it is very depressing and also hard to transport him around with this level of exhaustion. My mom insists on going out every day, so of course my dad needs to be in tow. All I can say is, it's not easy. While driving my parents around today, I could see my dad turning his head and looking at my gas gauge. My dad has many obsessive compulsive issues, one of which is the car has to have a full tank of gas at all times. When it isn't full, he gets very anxious. No matter how many times I have told him, I am driving and managing the gas, he can't let it go. My car had a half of tank of gas today. You would have thought it was a national crisis. Within five minutes, he looked at the gauge ten times. He makes me so crazy, that literally I stop whatever I have planned and find a gas station. 


I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner for just me and my parents this year. I just can't handle much more. Given all I am balancing, I always start a couple of days ahead and pre-make certain things. Tonight's focus was cranberry sauce (which I have to run through a food mill, as my dad doesn't like the skins of the cranberry) and a sweet potato souffle. 
On Thursday, I was bake it  and then melt marshmallows on top. 




No comments: