Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 30, 2023

Monday, January 30, 2023

Monday, January 30, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2004. Mattie was almost two years old and we took him to the Natural History Museum in Washington, DC that weekend. In the rotunda of the Museum is an enormous elephant. He is nicknamed Henry. Henry was an 11-ton, 13-foot-tall elephant, and he has been on display since 1959. Look at Mattie's wonderment and fascination in his eyes. 

Quote of the day: Too much work and too much energy kill a man just as effectively as too much-assorted vice or too much drink. ~ Rudyard Kipling


This morning I did many chores, including folding my parent's big blankets that I washed and put into storage bags. Since I bought them a heating blanket for their bed, they no longer need big heavy blankets on them. I folded the blankets and then got up on a ladder to put them at the top of my parent's closet. Somehow coming down the ladder, I missed a rung, and landed up falling backward. I did catch myself, but my back went into a set of drawers behind me. I saw the stars! So now I have the rib pain for Saturday (which I got helping my dad up at the restaurant, as I literally hit the side wooden rail of the booth) and now this back issue! Typically I am very sure footed but I am also very tired. 

While my dad was at the memory care center today, I returned emails, took my mom to CVS, and did about three more loads of laundry. Later in the day, I drove them to Maryland for an early dinner. 

Peter is in Boston, celebrating his dad's 89th birthday. For several days now they have been having dinners and others gatherings in his honor. This is Peter's dad, Don! Looks pretty good for 89! 
Meanwhile Peter's mom, a retired music teacher and department chair, runs a choir at the local senior center. This morning she led a choir concert. Peter snapped a photo of her (Barbara is in the front row, fourth from the right) with the choir. I am so glad Peter got to see and hear this performance. 

No comments: