Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 3, 2023

Friday, February 3, 2023

Friday, February 3, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2006. That day, Mattie and I were in our living room designing Valentine's day cards for his friends in preschool. Certainly I could have bought cards in the store and had Mattie scribble on them, but since Mattie was into craft projects, I figured why not turn this into a fun activity. Mattie absolutely loved it. Mattie was always into creating, building, crafting, and of course using glue and paint brushes. However, what was equally noteworthy was Mattie was very neat. It was rare if he got paint and glue on himself unless it was intentional. 



Quote of the day: The health of the eye seems to demand a horizon. We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough. Ralph Waldo Emerson


This morning, after my dad went to the memory care center, I worked on the Power Point presentation for an upcoming webinar we are involved in on February 14. I unfortunately can't participate, as I am taking my mom to a doctor's appointment (an appointment that has been scheduled and rescheduled since September). Thankfully Peter is stepping in and representing us!

All day though, I have been exhausted. Before picking my dad up, Peter encouraged me to take my parents out to dinner closer to home. Typically every Friday and Saturday, I drive them to Rockville, MD. As we love our server there! But it is frigid, I am dragging, and frankly I did not want to wait until 4pm to eat. So I listened to Peter and it worked out very well. I picked my dad up from his memory care center at 2pm and drove right to the restaurant closer to us. 

When we walked into the restaurant in Ashburn, VA, we shall a familiar face. Erica, the manager, greeted us. We knew her from the Reston of Clyde's. When that restaurant closed its door in May of 2022, Erica was transferred to a restaurant in DC. Which is why I was stunned to see her in Virginia. Erica transferred again and now we will be seeing her more often. The camaraderie at the Reston Clyde's was indescribable and all the people who worked there seemed to love their job, loved their customers, and treated their regulars like family. So seeing Erica reminds us of the good times we had at the Reston restaurant. 

We love the Willow Creek Farm restaurant in Ashburn, VA. Each week we work with Cheryl, who is an outstanding server. She knows us so well and over time we can gotten to know about each other's families. Cheryl wears pins and earrings reflective of the season, which I just love. She mentioned a couple of weeks ago when we were talking that she doesn't have a Valentine's day pin. So on Sunday, we are surprising her with a Valentine's day gift of chocolates and this pin! I appreciate all the wonderful people in our lives who work hard each week caring for me and my parents. Which is why, when I can, I like surprising them with gifts and treats because I want them to know they make a difference in our lives.

No comments: