Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 19, 2023

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was in the outpatient clinic of the hospital and working in his favorite area.... the art therapy corner. That day, Mattie was working on a piece of clay. He was learning how to use a potter's wheel. At the time, I had no idea that this creation was going to get glazed in red and become a mother's day gift for me. To this day, I cherish this red vase, which is currently in our living room on display!


This photo was taken in May of 2009! Mattie presented me with the finished clay product (which was started above) for Mother's Day!  






Quote of the day: We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations. ~ Chuck Swindoll


Given the various feedback I have been receiving from my mom about what goes on at night with my dad, Peter helped me install a nanny camera in my dad's bathroom. This morning we looked at the footage, which produces live video footage every time the camera is tripped. What I discovered was my dad was up at 3am and stayed in the bathroom until 4am. Specifically he went to sit on the toilet from 3-3:45am. He was NOT sleeping while seated, he just has NO IDEA of the time. I know this problem from his daylight hours with me. I time everything he does from his time in the shower, to time in the bathroom. This is necessary because to him 45 minutes can feel like a second. In addition, he no longer has insight of physical sensation. Meaning, he can't tell you whether he has just urinated or had a bowel movement, even a second after completion. So I am not at all surprised by the data captured on last night's camera. 

I have a digital clock and calendar on the vanity for my dad. Next to it, I have a log for each day, so he can record when he went to the bathroom, brushed his teeth, washed with mouthwash, and shaved. By the time I get to him in the morning, he has checked everything off the list. But what the camera now confirms for me is that he is doing each of these activities multiple times, regardless of whether it is recorded right in front of him on the daily log. So for example, yesterday he brushed his teeth at 3:45am and again at 8am. Does any of this really matter?

Well not exactly, other than I need to understand his night time patterns and to determine if once he is done in the bathroom, if he attempts to leave the bedroom, or whether he returns to bed. So far, each time he returns to bed. I am not as anxious about my dad wandering, mainly because he is considered a physically lazy individual. He has been this way his entire adult life. He has no interest at exploring or walking around, and prefers options that involve relaxing and lying down. This trait is now the one blessing I have in the whole horrible equation. 

This afternoon, we took my parents out to brunch. We go to the same place each Sunday and our fabulous server is Cheryl. It turns out that both Cheryl and I surprised each other with Easter gifts! I know Cheryl likes chocolate and also enjoys to decorate, so I had fun putting together an Easter basket for her. Cheryl gave me many of the lovely items you see here. Frankly I wasn't in the mood to decorate for Easter, but Cheryl's gift inspired me to get it in gear and get with the season. More to come, but this is a start. 

No comments: