Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 21, 2023

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Tuesday, March 21, 2023 -- Mattie died 703 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. That day the excitement in the pediatric units was the ribbon cutting ceremony for the child life playroom. I can't tell you what a God sent this room was, because when Mattie first started treatment, there was no space to play, interact with others, and just be a kid. The only space allocated before the playroom's existence was the hallways! Mattie was invited to cut the ribbon during the ceremony and one thing Mattie loved even more than building, was being given a task or responsibility! He took on this role was great pride, especially since the playroom brought him joy throughout his challenging medical existence. 

Quote of the day: No matter how much falls on us, we keep plowing ahead. That's the only way to keep the roads clear. ~ Greg Kincaid


I had a hard time falling asleep last night. I must have been tossing and turning until 2 or 2:30am. When my alarm went off this morning, I honestly didn't know if I was coming or going. Peter perked up my morning by sending me this photo of rhododendrons in our garden. Ironically, I am in such a state, that I don't even go out and look at them myself. I figure what's the point. 

In addition to my usual tasks, I am also inundated with things that I must complete before next week for this research study we are involved in. Truly without caregiving, these tasks would be a pain, but now anything in which I feel the pressure of a deadline, this causes me anxiety. Which is why I most likely can't sleep. 


This morning, I checked the nanny camera we installed in my dad's bathroom. He was up multiple times last night, and sat on the toilet for 30 minutes at a time (despite installing a clock right in front of the toilet for him). What also caught my attention is after going to the bathroom, he then headed over the sink and looked confused as to what to do. Literally he stood there for five minutes just standing there and rubbing his head. The whole picture was overwhelming to see and at some point, I may just have Peter review this camera each morning, and cut myself out of the process. The footage is very depressing, and it doesn't help my mental state for the rest of the day. 

Given that we did not have planned outings today, I changed my parents linens on their bed. It is quite a task (which I only take on every two weeks), especially when my dad uses about 15 pillows. Needless to say, I have to address their bed, when I don't have morning commitments. 

Meanwhile, Peter has been re-organizing his office space, as he begins his new job in April. When we lived in Washington, DC we had many of these plastic bins. Now they are only taking up space. Not knowing what to do with something, always inspires me to check in with the app, Next Door! 

I can't tell you how many things I have given away for free on Next Door. So we took a photo of these bins and within an hour, I had 7 people who wanted them! I just love the fact that someone else can use these great items and I do not have to worry about packing up the car and donating them. 


No comments: