Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 20, 2023

Monday, March 20, 2023

Monday, March 20, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. I snapped this photo because Mattie built this creation out of everyday items! In fact, Mattie's art therapists learned quickly that Mattie loved boxes and other everyday items. They saved these things for him just so he could create! I can't tell you how appreciated all of this was, because when physically doing something, it helped to distract Mattie and in the process it would change the emotional tone in the hospital room!


Quote of the day: The human capacity for burden is like bamboo - far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance. ~ Jodi Picoult


I couldn't get up this morning. I am very tired! But by 7:15am, I knew I had to get it going otherwise my dad wouldn't get to his memory care program in time. I feel worn down and I am struggling with an on and off again sore throat. I have no other symptoms and it could simply be seasonal allergies, but it's an overall sense of exhaustion that I feel each and every day that wears me down. 

If you read last night's blog posting, you know that I am now tracking my dad's nightly movements on a nanny camera. Again, he was up at 3am, and sat on the toilet for thirty minutes, and then went through his morning routine of brushing his teeth and so forth. We purchased a clock that we will install in the toilet area, in hopes that he will be able to track time. But frankly I am a realist. My dad's memory issues have rapidly declined in a year. He can't recall what happened 30 seconds ago. 

For example, on Sunday we took my parents out to brunch. As soon as we got home and I put him in his reclining chair (in the family room), he asked.... are we going out today to eat? Understand that he literally had a three course meal and just got back home, which entailed walking from the car into the house! He remembered NONE of it! It truly is demoralizing and frustrating as his caregiver.

The days my dad goes to the memory care center, he travels with a notebook in his pocket. So he can take notes (and record one thing about his day!) Mind you he is the one who wants a notebook and I think in his earlier stages of dementia, the notebook served some sort of purpose. But now, he can't remember to take notes, has no interest in recording anything, and the only thing the notebook accomplishes is it produces great irritation to the rest of us.  

Eating is also a nightmare. As my dad eats extremely fast and my mom eats extremely slow. Though I am not a fast eater, I have to eat at my dad's pace because if I don't I will never be able to eat. When we go out to restaurants, it is a thorough show in which he constantly needs tissues (because when he eats, it always triggers a runny nose, and I am picking up tissues so others don't have to), has some sort of issue, or needs to run to the bathroom. Needless to say, I haven't had a peaceful meal since my parents moved in with us. From this chronic stressful pace, I have developed heartburn after each meal. 

In the midst of this daily chaos, I am still trying to process through FOUR courses that I need to complete to participate on a research study team. This whole process has been SO time consuming that yesterday I decided to pay for continuing education units to apply toward my license! I might as well get something for all this time! As you can see, I completed two courses and today began the third! 


This third course has 9 modules, of which I did 2 today. I can handle only about two modules a day, so at this pace I might be finished with this course this week, and the hopes is I can begin the fourth and final course over the weekend!

No comments: