Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 22, 2023

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2008. Mattie came home from school that day and we went outside to our commons area in the city and flew a kite. Mattie loved kites and the commons area was the perfect space, because it always had just the right amount of wind to send Mattie's kite soaring! It is hard to believe that this photo was taken four months before he was diagnosed with cancer. It is easy to forget that Mattie was once healthy, could run, and just be a kid, as cancer has a way of leaving a permanent mark on my brain. This photo however, instantly snaps me back to a happier time in our lives. 


Quote of the day: I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong... I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. ~ Audrey Hepburn


After a three week hiatus (because my mom was ill), my mom returned to physical therapy today. There is always more pressure on therapy days, because I have to get my dad up and ready and my mom out the door at a certain time in order to drive to the hospital. Today I learned that my mom will be doing therapy through June. Originally the plan was for therapy to end in April. So the process continues, and it is more for me to juggle!

Peter sent me this photo of a giant hyacinth growing in our backyard. Rather hysterical that I don't make the time to see it in person! But thankfully Peter keeps me connected to the outside world and also takes on the daily nanny camera reports on my dad's behavior at night. 
I snapped some photos of things I have put out around the house for the Spring/Easter season. After Mattie died, we did NO decorating. AT ALL! I neither had the interest or desire. I am not sure I do now either, but with my parents living with us, and my dad completely disoriented, I find decorating for the season is good for all of our mental states. Otherwise every day is exactly like the day before here. 

When Mattie died, I donated many of the decorations I had collected over the years. I felt..... why keep them?! I did not want to decorate and I did not have a child to pass them onto in the future. The only decorations I did keep were the ornaments for our Christmas tree. Most likely because many of them have some sort of significance. 

Peter came home with some daffodils two days ago and to me they are the ultimate sign of Spring. So I got out my trusty ribbon collection and put ribbons around each of the daffodil containers. When Mattie Miracle used to host a live Walk and Raffle in May, I needed LOTS of ribbons for our raffle baskets. I must have a ribbon for all occasions! Now our event is no longer in person, but rest assured my ribbons always come in handy. 
Our town house in Washington, DC had a room with a view, which I just LOVED. This is my new room with a view in our house. I am attracted to openness, natural light, windows, and greenery. But I snapped this photo to show you my Easter set up on the wall between our kitchen and family room. 


It has been a full day of balancing caregiving tasks, driving around, cleaning, cooking, answering Foundation emails, and now onto the course work I need to complete for the research study we are involved in! Will the course work ever get done? NO idea, but I keep pushing to meet next week's deadline. 

No comments: