Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 14, 2023

Friday, July 14, 2023

Friday, July 14, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2005. Mattie was three years old and we were on our yearly trip to the beach in North Carolina. By that point, Mattie loved the beach. Not so much going in the water, but most definitely being on the sand. The Outer Banks will always hold special memories for us and I am so glad we made these trips happen. 


Quote of the day: He knows not his own strength who hath not met adversity.William Samuel Johnson


This morning, I got up early so that I could get my usual routine accomplished. I took one look at my dad's hand, arm, and face, and realized I had to contact the doctor yet again! What the photo doesn't show, is that my dad has blisters that are oozing. Naturally I can't stop him from scratching, even when I put cotton gloves on him.


Do you see that lump under his chin? Also part of the allergic reaction! I knew my dad needed to go on prednisone. My dad is very allergic to bug bites and my joke is he needs to live in a bubble! It makes it impossible to enjoy the summer outside, as he and my mom constantly get bitten. One bug bit is like the end of the world in my house. I have been dealing with this issue ALL week. My mom has pronounced that she NO LONGER wants to eat outside on our porch. The one space and time in the day that I really enjoy. It figures! 


After interacting with the doctor this morning, I then contacted my dad's memory care center, as I did not want more questions about his arm/hand. I explained his care of plan and when he got to the center, they wrapped up his hand for him because of the excessive oozing. When my dad got home this afternoon, I started him on the steroid. I am hoping it works its magic, but I am tired of one crisis after the other. 

Meanwhile, I took my mom into the city today for a massage, while I had a facial. I haven't had a facial since perhaps 2018. The beautiful part about all of this is I have returned to the salon right next to our townhouse (where we used to live) in Washington, DC. I went to that salon for decades, starting in my 20s! In so many ways, going there is like returning home. I have decided to not go back to the salon we were going to in Georgetown. Georgetown is too congested, parking is horrific and the uneven sidewalks are a massive problem for my mom. I have made the executive decision to remove one stressful experience from my monthly routine. It was the best decision I have made so far because there is great comfort in returning to a place that has a history with you. 

No comments: