Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 10, 2023

Monday, July 10, 2023

Monday, July 10, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. This was classic Mattie in the bathtub. He could stay in there for hours, playing around, and this was his rendition of "Santa Mattie!" What a face and his antics will never be forgotten. I can't tell you how many toys Mattie would dump in the tub along with himself, I truly think he was all about playing and not about bathing. 

Quote of the day: Where words fail, music speaks.Hans Christian Andersen


Today I learned that our dear friend Tim died from pancreatic cancer. Tim was our philanthropy contact at Georgetown Hospital for many years. Tim took an immediate liking to me and Peter and he devoted his time to reading the blog, learning about Mattie, and finding ways to support our cause. Tim was a fierce patient advocate and it is thanks to Tim, that he made sure we received Georgetown's Flame of Hope Award in 2014
You can see that there are many prestigious names attached to this award. We were the recipients in 2014, and to this day, this award sits in my office, proudly on display! This award will always mean a great deal to me, because I still consider Georgetown our medical home. 
In addition to the Flame of Hope award, Tim donated this paver to the hospital in memory of Mattie! This paver is at the front entrance of the hospital. Whenever I am at Georgetown, I always visit this spot. I will be forever grateful to Tim and can't imagine a world without this sweet, vivacious, humorous, and powerful soul. 

Hearing about Tim's death today, truly hit me hard. I felt he was sending me a message that..... I have to take care of myself. That I have to make time for myself in the day and if one doesn't take care of one's self, all sorts of things can arise. 

So this afternoon, after addressing all of my parents needs and having dinner prepped, I got on my sneakers and left the house! I had a migraine, felt very anxious, and could feel a panic attack coming on! So I knew I had to change my usual pattern. Walking! That is the only thing I have control over in my life, so I did it! I did not take my mom, I did not take Sunny, I just took myself out! 

I plugged into my phone and listened to Carly Simon. I am a big Carly Simon fan and I haven't listened to her music in years. I literally walked for three miles, and not slow sauntering, but speed walking, like I used to do in the city. For this walk, I felt more alive than I have in two years! With each step, I could feel anger, stress, and disillusionment slip from my head and body. 


One of the songs I heard was...... Coming around again (see below)!


Coming around again could have been written for me, but I have no doubt thousands of people relate to it! What it reminded me was that all things in life are temporary. Not to give up hope. Though I may feel depleted, depressed, angry, exhausted, and isolated...... caregiving, like cancer, has not altered who I am at the core. Thank you Tim (and Carly Simon) for reminding me that we all fall apart, but life does COME AROUND AGAIN!

No comments: