Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 9, 2023

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in July of  2007. Mattie was five years old and that weekend we took him to Roosevelt Island. This is a place we visited practically every weekend. It brought all of us so much enjoyment. We visited this spot during every possible season and I feel a piece of Mattie's incredible spirit lies in this green space. 


Quote of the day: And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about. ~ Haruki Murakami


Tonight's quote is so poignant. There are many figurative storms in our lives, and some are much harder to cope with, manage, and recover from the devastation. However, it is so true, these experiences and traumas alter us. Whether we want them to or not, and the changes occur physically, emotionally and socially. Certainly some changes can be good and may cause us to grow and develop in ways we never thought were possible. But not all change produces positive results. Some experiences are so deep and affect every aspect of living, that it becomes impossible to return to the person we once were. I would say Mattie's diagnosis and death produced such life altering changes, and caring for parents with dementia on top of surviving childhood cancer is a bad bad combination. 

Have I changed as a person because of these two caregiving experiences? The answer is yes. Losing Mattie has impacted every aspect of my life and frankly I wasn't sure I could regroup and continue living. But some how I did. As a result however, I am far less social, I prefer more solitary time, I have trouble reading and processing information (especially if there is other noise around), and this is just some of the changes. Now add, caregiving around the clock for a year and a half without ONE DAY break, and I think this would alter anyone. Despite being exhausted and frazzled from meeting constant demands, at the core, who I am as a person remains the same.  

I have spent the weekend, playing with templates the artist left me. We have been trying to figure out how many paintings we want to display on this wall and once we figure that out, we will work on content. I have been up and down on a ladder all weekend. This was one of the options I generated and once up we live with it for a few hours we can easily say yay or nay. This eventually got a nay, as we all thought it was too busy. 
Then I tried this combination. My dad was watching TV, while I was playing with templates. This got a nay too!
Then I moved to this option, again, after a few hours, it too got a nay!
Then we landed up with this option. This option resonates with all of us. The problem is this wall is so huge that smaller sized canvases will get lost in this space. Any case, we will live with this for a few days and then determine the final verdict. 



No comments: