Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 22, 2024

Monday, January 22, 2024

Monday, January 22, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie was home in between treatments and a teacher from Mattie's school came over to give Mattie a piano lesson. Mattie received this keyboard from the hospital volunteer duo... Jerry and Nancy. Mattie loved music and before one of our neighbor's moved out of our complex in the city, she gave us her upright piano so Mattie could learn how to play. To this day, I still have Susan's piano in our home. The sad part is Mattie never got the opportunity to truly take consistent lessons. 


Quote of the day: Dogs die. But dogs live, too. They live brave, beautiful lives. They protect their families. And love us. And make our lives a little brighter. And they don’t waste time being afraid of tomorrow. ~ Dan Gemeinhart


This photo was taken in Mattie's room in our townhouse. After Mattie died, this room became my office. When I was working there during the day, I had my Foundation co-workers near by. Look at that Sunny smile! 

Right from the very beginning, as soon as we brought Sunny into our home, he immediately got along with Indie. On day one.... He gave her a big greeting and they sniffed noses. With Sunny's death, Indie has kicked it into high gear. She has become more vocal, does a lot of weaving around me, and follows me all over the place. She is channeling her inner Sunny. Of course there will never be another Sunny! He was the best dog ever. 

This morning, after doing my usual routine (fed Indie, got showered and dressed, made breakfast, cleaned out Indie's litter box, vacuumed the first floor, cleaned kitchen counters, then woke up my dad, made their bed, got my dad showered, dressed, and downstairs for breakfast, threw out the trash and started the laundry), I got my dad in the car and dropped him off at his memory care center. Keep in mind everything I just listed above is done by 10am. When I got home, I got my mom moving and into the car, and drove 30 minutes into the city for my mom's hair and nail appointment. 

While my mom was getting her hair done, I got my nails done. I have know my manicurist since 2009. We have been through many ups and downs together and her sister is my hair stylist. I have know my hair stylist since I was around 25 years old! My point is, this is me! When you enter my life, I invest the time in getting to know you, I become attached to you, and I am honored to have developed so many beautiful and loyal friendships throughout my life. 

It is very clear to those who know me that I am carrying a heavy burden. I look exhausted, I have lost over 20 pounds, and emotionally I am drained. Both my manicurist and hair stylist today showered me with comfort, understanding, and love. Ironically they view me as one of the strongest and most loving women they know. High praise indeed, of which I wasn't expecting to hear. As I told them, I did not set out in life to achieve this distinction, but I have been given a challenging lot in life and there are two options as I see it.... collapse and give up on life, or take one day at a time and try to find a way forward. Honestly I can waffle between both extremes in any given day. 

What prevents me from throwing in the towel. Well first of course I have my parents to care for, and if someone needs me, I rise to the occasion to give it my all. But second there are a core group of friends, my cousin, Peter's cousin and his parents who are there for me daily. I can't tell you what a difference a supportive text makes in my life. Perhaps to these individuals this may not seem like much, but to me it means the world and these lifelines keep me afloat. They are my life boats!  

No comments: