Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 26, 2024

Friday, January 26, 2024

Friday, January 26, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie was in the playroom with his best buddy in cancer, Brandon. Despite their age difference, these two were close and had a special friendship. By that point in time, Brandon was off cancer treatment, but came back to the hospital on a regular basis to visit with Mattie and the care team. Brandon did not live close to the hospital. It was practically a two hour trip each way, a fact that never went unnoticed by me. Days and nights were very long for us in the hospital, and Brandon knew this all too well. Which was why his visits were deeply appreciated by all of us. 


Quote of the day: Companion, friend and confidante, a friend I won’t forget. You’ll live forever in my heart, my sweet forever pet. ~ Susanne Taylor

This is one of my favorite photos of Sunny at our house. It was taken not long after we moved into the house in 2021, and Sunny was thrilled to have grass, trees, and his own backyard. He was a happy camper. I thought he looked so regal on the lawn, that I snapped this photo! There will never be another Sunny. He was one of a kind. 

My mom is pressuring me to get another dog and my answer is NO! Dogs require time and attention, and I don't have time to care for myself, much less devote time to bond with a dog. I just won't do it. 

This morning, after taking my dad to his memory care center, I came back home and picked up my mom to take her to her annual physical. I am happy to report that since my mom moved in with me in 2021, she has gained 15 pounds. Overall, she is in good shape considering her age. The doctor gave her a cognitive test, and I have to tell you..... what a joke! These questions do not accurately assess memory issues. My mom maybe able to manage the questions, but truthfully in her day to day living, she needs a great deal of support. What I am happy about is that I reached out to her rehab doctor and he has agreed to prescribe my mom in-home physical therapy, so she can work on balance. This is a major accomplishment for the week!

After the doctor visit, I drove to Mattie Miracle's mailbox and picked up a ton of mail. Of course I did not look it over carefully, and once home I noticed that I have to go back next week to see if I have to pay our annual mail box fee. Keep in mind that going to the mailbox is a 40 minute drive each way! Truthfully it never ends and I am constantly jumping from one task to the next, FRENETICALLY, that I can't think straight. I am living under constant stress, constant demands, and constant tasks. 

This afternoon I took my mom to Starbucks for her tea and snacks. While there, we ran into the local author that we have gotten to know as well as one of our neighbors. This 90 minute break was the only peace I got all day. Because once I picked up my dad at the memory care center, I got home and jumped onto an hour long Mattie Miracle board meeting. I wish I could say it ended there! NOPE. I then had to type up meeting notes, do some Foundation work, fold laundry, make dinner, serve dinner, clean it up and the list goes on!

I would like to end tonight's blog with a joke my mom's doctor told us today. He admits he would like to be a stand up comic. When you see him, you get the medicine but so much more! Enjoy...........................

3 men, a fridge, and heaven

Three men were standing in line to get into heaven one day. Apparently it had been a pretty busy day, though, so Peter had to tell the first one, "Heaven's getting pretty close to full today, and I've been asked to admit only people who have had particularly horrible deaths. So what's your story?"

So the first man replies: "Well, for a while I've suspected my wife has been cheating on me, so today I came home early to try to catch her red-handed. As I came into my 25th floor apartment, I could tell something was wrong, but all my searching around didn't reveal where this other guy could have been hiding. Finally, I went out to the balcony, and sure enough, there was this man hanging off the railing, 25 floors above ground! By now I was really mad, so I started beating on him and kicking him, but wouldn't you know it, he wouldn't fall off. So finally I went back into my apartment and got a hammer and starting hammering on his fingers. Of course, he couldn't stand that for long, so he let go and fell-but even after 25 stories, he fell into the bushes, stunned but okay. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I ran into the kitchen, grabbed the fridge and threw it over the edge where it landed on him, killing him instantly. But all the stress and anger got to me, and I had a heart attack and died there on the balcony."

"That sounds like a pretty bad day to me," said Peter, and let the man in. The second man comes up and Peter explains to him about heaven being full, and again asks for his story. "It's been a very strange day. You see, I live on the 26th floor of my apartment building, and every morning I do my exercises out on my balcony. Well, this morning I must have slipped or something, because I fell over the edge. But I got lucky, and caught the railing of the balcony on the floor below me. I knew I couldn't hang on for very long, when suddenly this man burst out onto the balcony. I thought for sure I was saved, when he started beating on me and kicking me. I held on the best I could until he ran into the apartment and grabbed a hammer and started pounding on my hands. Finally I just let go, but again I got lucky and fell into the bushes below, stunned but all right. Just when I was thinking I was going to be okay, this refrigerator comes falling out of the sky and crushes me instantly, and now I'm here."

Once again, Peter had to concede that that sounded like a pretty horrible death. The third man came to the front of the line, and again the whole process was repeated. Peter explained that heaven was full and asked for his story.

"Picture this," says the third man, "I'm hiding naked inside a refrigerator..."

No comments: