Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 16, 2024

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Tuesday, January 16, 2024 -- Mattie died 746 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie was invited to his friend's birthday party. Naturally Mattie looked and acted differently from the other children, but he tried hard to blend in. In addition, I remember he was asserting his independence and did not want me hovering or helping. Nonetheless, I was never far away given that Mattie had broviac catheters attached to his chest and he was unable to walk. I also knew that parties and events that involved healthy children were also emotionally taxing for Mattie. Though he was six years old, he absorbed and felt a lot and was well aware that other children were staring at him and at times afraid of him because of how he looked. 

Quote of the day: Dogs…do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith. ~ Eugene O'Neill


I had a hard time getting up this morning. When I finally did, I looked out the window and saw everything covered in snow. Though I think snow is pretty, what snow symbolizes to me is.... being trapped. It is harder to get my parents outside, my dad's memory care center was closed, and snow further limits my life. However, the one blessing was my neighbor came over and he hand shoveled our walkways and driveway. What a beautiful Samaritan, because I couldn't take this on myself. My plate is full, especially when I am not feeling well. 

After I showered, I started making phone calls. I wanted to secure an appointment with my urologist and my kidney stone doctor. I called the urology office first and spoke to a fellow. The earliest appointment he could get me was next week. He then spouted off some sort of policy to me about what issues and problems the doctors in the office deem an emergency. Needless to say a urinary tract infection wasn't top on their list. I literally gave it to him, and I said that who ever made that policy has never had to live with UTI pain, including him. Needless to say I kept the Monday appointment, but wasn't happy. 

I also wrote an email diatribe directly to my physician. Since my parents moved here, I haven't seen my physician. I used to see this doctor every six months because of my extensive bladder issues. So true, I haven't been taking care of myself. Today, I put myself and my health issues first. Later in the morning, I got a call back from the urology office manager, because my physician told him to call me. He got me an appointment for Thursday. Before hanging up with him, I told him about my prior experience with his staff person this morning, who basically dismissed my pain. He apologized, said he would talk to the staff, because if a patient presents with pain, the patient needs to always be referred over to the nursing staff. Which of course did not happen on my first phone call. All I know is Mattie's cancer journey taught me that the only way you get the care you need is you have to be assertive and at times aggressive. 

Despite the snow and slippery conditions, I drove myself to the hospital in the city to get a KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) x-ray. I take one of these x-rays each year to monitor my kidney stones. In any case, I made sure the order was in the system, and then decided this was the perfect day to go to the hospital, as most people will be staying home and not coming out in the snow. I was correct. Parking at Mattie's hospital was super easy and I had little to no wait time in radiology. Another blessing. Hopefully I will get these results soon, so that I can rule out a kidney stone causing my current pain. I want to be armed with this information before Thursday's doctor visit. 

On my way to radiology today, I always walk through the children's art gallery in the hospital! Mattie's story and my collage in blue are still on display (side by side). We are talking 15 years on display. I can't tell you how much this means to me. It is as if Mattie's legacy is alive and well at MedStar Georgetown. 



I received this beautiful angel with a pooch from my friend Heidi and cards from my friends Jean and Helen. I should be receiving Sunny's ashes in the mail this week, and I plan on putting together a Sunny corner in my office. These cards and angel will be placed in that corner and I will eventually make a photo collage of the Sunman. I just can't believe that tomorrow will mark the first week without Sunny in my life. How he is missed!



This evening I went out to bring the garbage to the curb for pick up (hopefully tomorrow). While walking down the driveway, I slipped on the ice and went flying. I fell on my back side and hand. Given that I already injured myself in September carrying something heavy and developed sciatica (which I still have), I really did not need this fall tonight. Mind you my neighbor's construction workers were in the cul de sac and saw me flying and falling. Do you think they came over or even asked if I was okay? Of course not. 

This is a photo of the pastry my mom and shared tonight. My friend Junko gave me several pastries to enjoy, and we literally have worked our way through each and every one. 

No comments: