Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 21, 2024

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2007. Mattie was almost five years old. Though it was practically spring, we got snow that day! Of course that inspired Mattie. So we bundled up and went outside on our deck and commons area to play. I can't tell you how much we accomplished in this small space. Which is a reminder to me that it isn't the size of the space that is important, but instead what you do with the space you have! With Mattie's creativity, the sky was always the limit. 




Quote of the day: Your pets can feel your grief after they pass away but it will not harm them or keep them from continuing on their journey in the afterlife. ~ Karen A. Anderson


I absolutely love this! When we lived in the city, Sunny and I walked around Washington Harbor daily! I loved seeing the Potomac River throughout the year, as it changed with the seasons. Sunny loved being by the water too! He however was fascinated by the ducks and geese that hung out in the water!

Tonight's quote just resonated with me. There are many others quotes that say the exact opposite. Meaning some quotes espouse that dogs can't go to heaven when their owner on earth is grieving and pining for them. Karen's quote fits my belief system because I do not believe God would punish a dog or pet by keeping them in limbo (purgatory), until their owner let's their spirit go. I know without a doubt that Sunny has crossed the Rainbow Bridge! I am confident in this because Sunny's life brought joy, happiness, loyalty, and love to those who knew him. He really was a heavenly dog right here on earth. 

It was another ridiculous day on the farm. My morning started with my dad pooping all over the shower. I am not sure what is worse the sheer notion of this or the fact that he then sprays it around the shower making it a total mess for me to clean up. I literally took my eyes off of him for five seconds. That's all it took for him to get into trouble. Mind you once I got him out of the shower, was cleaning up the mess and cloroxing the tiles, he had NO memory of what just happened. NONE! Not a fan of dementia or irritable bowel syndrome!

Once I got my dad to his memory care center, I did some chores, and then came home to more phone calls. I called my dad's health insurer again today! Their billing is hysterical. I paid his premium for December and January! Now they are telling me that I did not but instead paid it for February and March! Really that is ridiculous! While on the phone with them, I pulled up our credit card history and gave them exact dates. I am telling you, each day it is like falling into quick sand. After dealing with my dad's insurer, I then dealt with my own. Our premium is due at the end of the month. When I went onto the system, they said NO payment was due at this time! WRONG! So I had to get on the phone with them and find out what on earth was happening! You are going to love this! Because it is a leap year, this screwed up the system and this impacted the billing for the month. All I know is I got it corrected and paid the premium. Truthfully all of this could be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. 

Soon as that was done, my mom's physical therapist arrived. While she was in her session, I tried to do more Foundation work, but around here it is easy to get derailed, especially since my mom's session is only thirty minutes long. Hard to get anything done in that time. Of course once the session was over, my mom wanted to go out. 

This composition came into my inbox today! A memory from years ago. This was a view from our town house in the city. We used to feed the birds and I felt certain some of these sparrows came back to us year after year. Mattie used to love seeing the birds, which was when we started this bird feeding activity. Needless to say, I look at these photos, and I long for how my life used to be. 


I received the gift of special tea today from our cousin. I just love the story that came with the gift. In case you can't read it, it says...

There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea. If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you. There's always time for a cup of tea. Do not accept badly made cups of tea - do not surround yourself with people what make them - they don't care about you. Tea - a hug in a cup. A simple cup of tea is far from a simple matter. 

I relate to this story about tea on every level! For years now, I have always made myself a cup of tea around 3pm. It is like my moment (though brief) in which I regroup and take a minute to pause. The English got this so right! Tea and chocolate are medicinal to me.  

I absolutely love the description of tea being a HUG IN A CUPI couldn't have said it better. Each afternoon, as I have this tea in my new tea lover cup, I will be thinking of our cousin. 



No comments: