Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 7, 2024

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. I can tell that Mattie was admitted to the hospital that day. The tell tale sign was he was wearing clothes. Mattie refused to wear clothes in the hospital and instead wore pajamas regardless of the time of day. However, when we were home, Mattie would wear clothes by day. So any time I see photos in which Mattie was in the hospital wearing clothes, I know this was a change over day. I most likely took this photo because Mattie was getting an infusion of his chemo. See the red stuff?! That was doxorubicin. I will never forget the first time seeing this chemo, because the natural instinct is red is bad or signifies danger. By that point in the treatment process, Mattie was no longer scared by the IV machine or the chemo, and simply was sitting in his wheelchair watching a video on the TV. 


Quote of the day: I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you; but instead I am deeply honored knowing you spent the rest of your life with me. ~ Camille Marcotte


It was another full day here. My dad had his physical therapy session at home and overall I am concerned by his level of exhaustion. If I did not get him up and moving and doing things, he wouldn't! He would sleep the day away. I am grateful to have a team of therapists working with him and that my mom is also open to therapy. 

Mid-day before taking my parents out for lunch, I went to our backyard to pick up sticks and branches. I swear I just did this days ago. In any case, I filled up another big blue garbage bins of branches and debris. I now can say that I have cleaned up all piles around the property! It is a labor. But it got me outside, in the sunshine, listening to the birds, and I have to say it may have been the best thirty minutes in my week. 

When I got back home this afternoon, sure enough my dad's insurer send us an envelope with four bills inside. Truthfully I wanted to scream! I have been dealing with his insurer now since December. I got all the documentation in hand before I called them and I was ready to do battle. But it turns out the only amount we owed was $15, and I learned that their system has now caught up and accurately shows we have paid all the premiums. Honestly it only took four months for this miracle! 

Later this evening, I got a text message from my neighbor who wanted to talk. She is having health problems, so I went over for an hour to hear her story, to try to offer moral support, and I also am evaluating her doctor to see if he is the best and most qualified person in our area to help her. This is my nature. If someone has a problem, I try to be there to help and offer support. Perhaps to a fault! However, I have learned a very valuable lesson in life in 2023. Not all people deserve our help or kindness and because of this horrible experience, I have to be careful moving forward helping people I don't truly know. It is sad, because this goes against my inner nature, but my life has been so transformed and not for the better, that I have learned a very bitter and painful life lesson. 

No comments: