Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 8, 2024

Saturday, June 8, 2024

Saturday, June 8, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2007. Mattie was five years old and that Memorial Day weekend we drove to Pennsylvania to take Mattie to Dutch Wonderland. This amusement park was geared toward younger children. It was at Dutch Wonderland that Mattie rode his first roller coaster and LOVED it. On our drive up, we stopped at a pretzel factory. We learned to roll the dough and shape it it accordingly. Outside the factory was this cow statue. Mattie knew my love of Holstein cows, so we paused for a photo together. Such an innocent and happy moment in time. 



Quote of the day: If love is like driving a car, then I must be the worst driver in the world. I missed all the signs and ended up lost. ~ Brian MacLearn


This morning my friend Carolyn and her husband, Don, came over for a visit. Carolyn never comes empty handed. She brought me these stunning hydrangeas from her garden and her mom's coffee cake. What an amazing combination. It makes you happy just looking at these gifts. A little visit like this makes a difference and helps to break up the LONG weekend. I absolutely hate the weekends, to me they are depressing times. Very reminiscent of when Mattie died. There is less structure to the days and given that I have no social network given my day to day routine, it makes the social isolation much more apparent. 

There are a few exterior issues that I have noticed with the house and will eventually need to get them addressed. I consulted with Carolyn's husband on the issues and lucky I did, because I was going to try to repair one myself with a substance called Bondo. But I learned today is that the issue is too far gone, for this material to work appropriately. So Don just saved me many hours of work! Bothering friends with issues is typically not my style, but I know two things: 1) that I need help, and 2) when I know something is out of my comfort zone, I know enough not to tackle a project myself. 

As the day progressed, I made my parents a snack and then I went next door to my neighbor's house. She had surgery two weeks ago and she wanted to catch up. This couple "adopted" me early on when I moved into the neighborhood. Ironically, I did not go anywhere today, but having Carolyn's visit and then my time with Judi, broke up the day. 

I made an early dinner today and then I told my mom to get on her sneakers because we were going to walk a block. She has been very sedentary since she got sick last week. I think the walk perked her up and her congestion and exhaustion are definitely improving. Thank goodness for antibiotics, which have finally kicked in!

Three things I am a grateful for:

  1. Visits with friends!
  2. The beauty of hydrangeas and the tastiness of coffee cake!
  3. My porch. As I write this blog, I am sitting on the porch. If you want to know why I fell in love with the house I am living in, it is because of the land and the porch! The porch to me has southern charm and with a fountain going in the background, it is my own private therapy. 


No comments: