Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 6, 2024

Thursday, June 6, 2024

Thursday, June 6, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. Mattie was two years old and I snapped this photo because I thought this was hysterical! Mattie put on Mr. Potato Head's glasses! Upside down of course! When I was a child, I loved playing with Mr. Potato Head. Particularly creating many different combinations! When I bought Mr. Potato Head for Mattie, I figured he would enjoy it like I did! He didn't! But instead, he took the props and used them in his own way. Which was very indicative of Mattie, he marched to the beat to his own drum. 




Quote of the day: Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as you’d been before the fall. ~ Jodi Picoult


It was a LONG day at home! Originally I had plans to go grocery shopping while my dad's physical therapist was over. Forget it! My mom is still quite sick, and I needed to manage her needs all day. I knew she couldn't monitor my dad's bathroom needs, while I was out, so therefore I never left the house. Of course, I am glad I did not leave, because mid-therapy session, my dad had to rush to the bathroom. Both the therapist and my mom can't really manage his toileting issues. 

After the therapist left, I tried to get both of my parents to rest. My dad was worn out from his session, so he was sleeping within minutes, but my mom couldn't get comfortable. I have been catering to her all day. Meanwhile in the back of my mind was.... when will I get my breast MRI results??? As the day progressed on, I got more and more anxious! I took two MRIs on May 22, and the hospital gave me the results hours later. So naturally you can imagine where my mind went today. I got so worked up over this, that I went outside to pull weeds and garden. I served no purpose sitting around and thinking. If God for bid something was found on the MRI, I frankly do not know how I would have coped or managed. My whole household relies on me, therefore, I can't avoid to be sick in any fashion. 

Thankfully at around 5:30pm, I saw those magical words to any patient.... benign findings. Since Mattie's cancer diagnosis, I know full well that life can change with ONE scan! That is all it takes and I know the ramifications of cancer on the patient and the family. However, I until a year ago, now I face everything ALONE. It is a daunting existence, with so much responsibility on my shoulders. But God was with me today and he understood, VICKI CAN'T HANDLE ONE MORE THING.   

The three things I am grateful for:

  1. Benign findings!!!!
  2. Virginia Hospital Center! They are an amazing hospital facility. 
  3. Having the same radiologist evaluate all my breast imaging. 

Highlights from my garden! This plant stand is on the porch. If you look closely around all of the gardens, you will find a Mattie element in many places! 
My wall of herbs! Which I use daily. 
I love this orange Adirondack chair (which used to be green). Now it is Mattie Miracle orange. 
Want to know what this purple plant is? It is a butterfly bush, as I love attracting these flutterbys to my garden. 
The rose garden.
Yellow day lilies in their glory. 
















No comments: