Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 5, 2024

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. I remember this moment in time like it were yesterday. That day we took Mattie to the Stone Zoo in Massachusetts. After the zoo, Mattie wanted a shake and French fries. So we went to McDonald's, a Mattie favorite. It wasn't unusual (until Mattie got older) for me to sit in the backseat with Mattie when Peter was driving. Why? I felt that Mattie needed company, assistance, and of course entertainment to keep him still and in his car seat for LONG journeys. We were good buddies to say the least. 


Quote of the day: The clouds wept when my heart sang a song of sorrow.Sonya Watson


This morning, I could hear trucks outside my window at 6:15am. I thought it was the garbage truck, it wasn't! My neighbor has been doing a house renovation now for ten months, and counting. Several of the contractors showed up at the crack of dawn and began working. Technically work in residential areas can't begin until 7am. Frankly at this point, I am so worn out with all of this, that I am trying to ignore sounds, traffic, and all sorts of loud noise. What I won't ignore however, is garbage and litter. I am like the litter police of our cul de sac. Today I picked up cigarette butts, water bottles, and other paper debris. 

So 6:15am was trucks and 7am was my mom screaming in a panic. She was running around the house carrying her check book and got herself worked up in a tizzy about paying two bills. She also did not understand some of my accounting work. Needless to say I did not take to this too well at that hour. My mom has a way of making me crazy and she can work me up within minutes. You can try to rationalize with her and tell her that you will address her issues later.... forget it! She wants the world to stop for her issues and for these issues to be addressed and fixed immediately. So that was how I faced 7am!

Given that I had to leave for the hospital at 2pm today for a breast MRI, I decided to take my parents out for frozen yogurt at noon. My mom is now on antibiotics and beginning to turn a corner. No matter how she feels, she wants to go out daily. So the best thing I could juggle today was yogurt. 

Who would guess that going to an MRI would be considered respite? For me that is exactly what it is! It is the time when I have no one in tow, I don't need to listen or meet demands, and I can focus on myself. Somehow when people talk about self care, I am not sure this qualifies. But taking care of my health needs in my opinion is my self care and because I went on May 22 for a head and neck MRI, I knew the tech that worked with me today. Lisa is excellent and what I loved about her is she would talk to me while I was in the scanner. Which enabled me to know how long each test would be as well as how much longer I would be in the scanner. 

My friend, Denise, prepared me psychologically for the breast MRI. She warned me that it is not a fun procedure. 100% correct! I can see that any aspect of this test maybe a challenge to a patient. Even now, two hours out of the scanner, I still feel the pressure and sensation of that metal bar on my sternum! I am not a fan of being on my stomach either, but I definitely do not like my face down and my arms over my head. While in the machine, I desperately wanted to move my arms and face, but I knew any movement would throw off the images. Therefore, I remained frozen in a very uncomfortable position for 40 minutes. 

Three things I am grateful for:

  1. Lisa, the wonderful MRI tech. Kindness and compassion go a long way with me.
  2. Angela, the nurse who started my IV at the hospital. In addition, the locker I put my belongings in at the hospital had issues. I couldn't get it open! I could have panicked as my phone and purse were in there, but they knew a secret code to open up the locker, and all was well.  
  3. My garden. I spent more time outside pulling weeds, sweeping, leaves, and taking in the greenery. 

No comments: