Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 20, 2024

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was in the outpatient clinic and was having a wheelchair race with one of his art therapists, Jessie. I remember these moments like they were yesterday. I will always be grateful to the amazing women at the hospital who helped us make the impossible more bearable! 


Quote of the day: The heart is heaviest when it’s empty and lightest when it’s full. ~ Helen Scott Taylor


Today was NOT a good day. I have felt overwhelmed on every level. In my home, I have to be the jack of all trades, meet everyone's needs, and be able to have solutions for everything! It is beyond exhausting. Some days I can take it better than others, today wasn't such a day. I can't possibly describe my level of despair.

When I got home, after taking my dad to the podiatrist and then both of them out to lunch, I let Indie outside on our porch. She demands porch time now, and howls until I open the door. Normally she stays on the porch, but I got distracted with my dad's bathroom routine, my mom's request about a phone call, and sure enough, when I went to look for Indie, she was gone! I literally called her, checked under every tree and bush for 45 minutes. I even went in the crawl space under the house. It is hot outside and the stress of all of this, made me lose my voice and get a horrible sore throat. I text messaged my neighbors too, in case she migrated onto their properties. But what I have learned is I am alone and I have to manage every crisis alone. It is quite a bitter pill to swallow. 

An hour of searching and then my mom spotted Indie! But Indie started running away as we tried to approach her. Truly she wore me out to no end. This evening I purchased a cat harness and a retractable leash. If she wants to go out, that will be her only option as there is NO bloody way I am going to endure this fright again! All I say is God give me strength because there are days I do not think I am going to make it. 

Everyone in my house is miserable. My mom questions why I ever married Peter? Now 35 years later, it is a hard question to answer. I never imagined I would have to answer such a question or that I would be so dispensable. But what I do know is the whole thing is hurtful. One of my neighbor's wrote to me today and said that..... my situation (as she has watched it unfold) is so horrific that NO ONE knows how to help. All people can try to do is be there, provide support, and to let me know I am loved. A beautiful statement!

The highlight of my day was receiving a letter and package in the mail from my friend, Phyllis in Los Angeles. Phyllis sent me this angel to watch over me and give me strength. I really need such an angel, because I am at my wit's end and feeling overwhelmed, very unhappy, and stressed out. 

As I told Phyllis, I wish she lived closer. We spent many holidays together when we were in Los Angeles and we were a great team in the kitchen, as clean up is never easy after a big meal, but having a trusty friend, makes everything easier. 

Three things I am grateful for:
  1. Finding Indie!
  2. Having an angel to watch over me. 
  3. Surviving today. 

No comments: