Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 21, 2024

Friday, June 21, 2024

Friday, June 21, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. Mattie was in the outpatient clinic, and next to him was his buddy, Maya. Maya and Mattie were the same age. They met early on in Mattie's treatment journey, at this same art therapy table. During that first encounter a bunch of kids were all working on projects and Maya began to talk about how she didn't like needles and being poked. Typically Mattie would remain quiet in group settings, but not with Maya. He immediately piped up and agreed and shared his feelings. I was stunned. That was how their beautiful friendship began! In this particular photo, Mattie and Maya created a little theatre out of a box and art materials. Not only did they create the stage, but then provided a performance for everyone in clinic. Maya brought out the best in Mattie and she was his only (by choice!) same aged friend at the hospital. 


Quote of the day: You will never know true happiness until you have truly loved, and you will never understand what pain really is until you have lost it. ~ Unknown


Last night after I got my parents to bed, I walked into my bedroom and it almost seemed like a light was on! But there was NO light on. It was a big Mattie Moon, shining in on me. I can't tell you what a miraculous sighting this was for me. I had a tough day, felt very distraught and with great despair, and then I saw this! A reminder that Mattie is with me, is watching over the nightmare I am living, and is shining directly into my room to let me know I am loved. 

My days are incredibly long here. I get up anywhere between 6 and 6:30am every day for the most part. There are no breaks during the day and then I do not get into my bedroom until after 10pm. A terribly long day. Once I am in my room, I try to block out the world, I turn on the TV, watch comedy shows, and try to regroup. In my bedroom, I am surrounded by photographs Peter took over the years. Photos of places we shared together. Now of course I look at all these photos and wonder, what on earth was I missing about Peter!? I consider myself astute regarding my ability to read people and sensitive to the needs of others around me, which is why so much of what is going on right now is a total shock. 

I received a text message from one of my dad's caregivers in Los Angeles. I absolutely LOVED Zhaine. She and I are the same age, she is in constant motion like me, and I am quite sure between her and I, there isn't anything we couldn't do together caregiving wise. She took excellent care of my dad. Honestly I wish this caregiving company was here in Virginia. Finding quality, reliable, and trustworthy caregivers is not easy, but I never worried leaving my parents in Zhaine's care. In any case, Zhaine wrote to me today and shared this photo memory. Zhaine came into our lives in 2020, after my dad's two rounds of hospitalization for sepsis and an impacted colon. My dad had lost 50 pounds back then and was very weak. It is amazing that with good care, a better diet, and an exercise routine, my dad looks better now than he did four years ago! 


Three things I am grateful for:

  1. Friends that stay connected and reach out to me. 
  2. The MOON! A constant reminder of my Mattie. 
  3. My copper bullet hoses! They are a lifesaver, as I am watering my garden daily. If I had to manage those bulky, heavy hoses that kink, I am sure I would be less motivated to water and be in my garden. I have DAILY garden time. It is my therapy of choice. 

No comments: