Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 19, 2024

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. I will never forget this moment in time. My good friend Christine hosted a second birthday party for Mattie in her backyard. Mattie's official birthday was celebrated in the hospital, but this second party was a special event in which Mattie's close friends and many creepy crawlers from Reptiles Alive were present. As you can see, Mattie was fascinated by a snake being introduced to him by the naturalist. I assure you, if this were me, I would have been screaming my head off! I am deathly afraid of snakes. When looking at this snapshot in time, we were excited that Mattie's treatment was coming to an end, and we had great hopes that it held back the cancer enough for him to rehabilitate. Unfortunately two months after this photo was taken we realized Mattie's prognosis was terminal. I am very grateful that Christine hosted this party and provided these moments of happiness and better memories. 


Quote of the day: You don’t die from a broken heart. You only wish you did. ~ Unknown


Given that today was a National holiday, I had my dad home with us. I was determined to get some things done, and honestly if I made a list of all the things I accomplish in a given day, it would be ridiculous. I managed bills, worked with my mom's CPA regarding her taxes, and started putting together Foundation files for our CPA who always works on our annual financial review at this time of year. Of course the thing is all my adult life, I haven't been the one managing bills, budgets, and taxes. Therefore, when I tell you that my learning curve has been steep, I am not kidding. 

This evening I went to my weekly therapy session. Most days I really question why I go! But today I got there early. I sat in the parking lot, in the shade, with the windows down. I started corresponding to the woman I met in the on-line support group months ago. Remember she and I communicate daily. She lives in England and therefore we operate on very different time schedules. What I noticed was the ten minutes of sitting still in the car, listening to birds and breezes through the trees was very therapeutic. No one was talking at me or making demands. It was a moment of peace, which grounded me by the time I got into the session. I have to remember this, because without taking this ten minute pause, I am wound up like a top when I enter the therapy room. 

Any case, typically I do not acknowledge my achievements in these sessions, but given all that I have done this week which was way beyond my comfort zone, I was able to face the reality that I have the ability to figure things out for myself and get a lot done in the process. This may not sound earth shattering to many of you reading this, but to me, I couldn't deny the facts.

Three things I am grateful for:

  1. The wonders of wild life all around me! 
  2. Sitting still for a moment and taking deep breaths. 
  3. The antics of Indie, the cat. Indie's new insistence is to have patio time. She wants to go outside, sit on Sunny's portion of the couch and will howl until I let her out. Trust me she is persistent!!! Sometimes she makes me laugh!


No comments: