Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 30, 2024

Monday, September 30, 2024

Monday, September 30, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2002. Mattie was six months old. I worked very hard to try to calm Mattie down at night, so that he would fall asleep. But sleep was NOT Mattie's friend. He rarely napped and did not want to sleep for more than an hour or two at a time. Needless to say, we were strung out with exhaustion. Mattie's pediatrician once said to me.... do you plan on teaching Mattie how to brush his teeth? Of course the answer was YES. So he said, you also need to teach him to self sooth and to fall asleep on his own. He then recommended the Ferber method. I bought the book, read it, and though I was hesitant, we tried it. I can safely say the method works like a charm and it isn't a mean method, but a method that provides comfort and support, but in intervals. Brilliant! 


Quote of the day: It is a dull sensation, your heart breaking, like the sound of a pebble dropping on the sand. Not a shattering, not a tearing apart, there is nothing shrill or grandiose about the sensation. It is merely an internal realization that something treasured you never knew you had is leaving forever. ~ Samantha Bruce-Benjamin


If you have been reading the blog, then you know on Saturday, a pair of garden shears fell on my foot while I was outside in the garden. I contacted my doctor and she feels like I did a great job managing my foot and tells me to stay the course. I would say the pain is subsiding, but my foot is all sorts of colors and the gash is slowly sealing up. I wish my foot was the only pain I am experiencing. It pales in comparison to how I am feeling emotionally. I will leave it at that for now. 

When I look at tonight's photo of Mattie, I think about the excitement we had at picking out Mattie's crib and then his bedding. I went with the cute yellow duckie theme. Kind of symbolic in a way, because as Mattie got older, he was fascinated by and loved ducks. 

I took my mom into the city today to get her hair done. The salon is right near our townhouse in Washington, DC. I naturally can't go to this salon without reflecting on my former life. I literally looked up at my balcony windows today and a pain of heartbreak came over me. You know that feeling you can get.... with a pit in your stomach and your breath being taken away?! Well that is how I felt. Our townhouse balcony no longer has adorable flower boxes (see that photo!) and I could see from the outside that the charm I once placed into that space is gone. This complex and our townhouse will always be my home in my heart. It was where I lived my married life and where I brought Mattie home from the hospital and raised him. These years can not be erased from my mind, and I only wish Mattie were still alive, because I really think with his presence I would have been able to survive this next chapter of my life. 

No comments: