Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 3, 2024

Thursday, October 3, 2024

Thursday, October 3, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. I remember snapping this photo because I just loved Mattie's ability to multi-task. Most people when multi-tasking are not truly focused on any one thing. But with Mattie, he actually was able to open cabinets, take out video tapes, stack and play with them, while also listening and absorbing the video on the TV. Trust me, I know this because I would ask Mattie questions about what was on the screen! He always was able to respond to me and was accurate most of the time. 




Quote of the day: I feel I’ve lost every part of me…there’s nothing left but the parts I’ve given to you. I need you to hold those pieces together. Please don’t forget who I was…then…then there really will be nothing left. ~ Cassandra Giovanni


Last night I was alerted about movement on our driveway. When I went to look at what was going on..... look what I saw! A whole family of four headed to chomp on the bushes. If only Mattie could have seen this sight, he would have been besides himself. 

Last night, several photos and videos popped on my phone. Many times I ignore these reminders, but last night I decided to check out the alerts. One of the photos was this.... a photo of my mom from 2020. It is hard to believe this photo was taken only four years ago. Now four years later, my mom's posture is hunched over, her eyes don't look this alert and bright, and she was in much better shape. Because my mom lives with me, I am adjusting to her gradual changes, but seeing this photo was shocking for me. My mom has Parkinson's disease (though she will not accept that diagnosis) and I think between disease progression and living with the constant heartbreak in my life have taken a massive toll on her. 

After my usual morning routine, I had an appointment to meet a banker. In 2002, we opened an safety deposit box. However, we haven't accessed this box in over ten years and I saw no reason to continue paying for something I am not using. I have to admit any time I have to deal with financial issues and technology, I get stressed out. Why? Well maybe part of it is I don't gravitate to these things, but another factor is I have been conditioned by my parents and Peter, that I shouldn't worry about these things. That they should manage this for me and I can worry about other things. But here's the thing, since Peter left me, I had to focus, learn, and rise to the occasion to run an entire household alone. Guess what? Everyone under estimated me! I can actually be part of the solution, I can keep track of budgets and be very fiscally responsible. It is ironic, because now my parents tell me..... they made a big mistake. They should have included me in financial dialogues and that I am more than capable. I guess the question is why did it take a crisis to show people what I can do? I have no answers! I can only keep plugging along because I have NO OTHER CHOICE. 

No comments: