Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 4, 2024

Friday, October 4, 2024

Friday, October 4, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2002. Mattie was six months old. He wasn't quite sitting up independently, which was why I had pillows all around him. Mattie was sitting on the couch with me and I had some of his favorite toys with us. Mattie was a BIG fan of his stackable plastic cups, but what I absolutely love was the expression Mattie gave me as I snapped this photo. 

Quote of the day: Sometimes you have to deprive someone of the pleasure of being with you so that they can realize how much they need you in their lives. ~ Osayi Osar-Emokpae


I love tonight's quote. I have seen in numerous times before, but never put it on the blog. The problem with all of this is I believe in the sentiments of this quote but what I find earth shattering is I have been separated from Peter for a year, and yet I am not missed. It is as if I don't matter and our life together has been erased. This is beyond painful and indescribable. 

This week I have been dealing with intense feelings of anxiety again, in which I can feel panic attacks coming on. After Mattie died, I suffered from constant panic attacks and at first I thought it was my heart. But I consulted with a cardiologist, under went testing, and wore a heart monitor for days, and it was concluded it wasn't my heart. It took me a long time to work through these issues and how I coped back then was I walked for MILES, try like ten a day. It helped get out the tension and stress that was coursing through my whole body. But now with my parents in tow, I live a very confined life. So walking miles isn't likely to happen. 

Thankfully today was a beautiful day, and I spent an hour outside pulling out weeds and vines. Fortunately my yard never disappoints and there is always constant things to do and attend to! As it is Friday, now begins another weekend. When Mattie died, I began to HATE weekends. There was less structure and more isolation. While Mattie's friends and their parents were involved in school and community related activities, we were child less and waffling to find our way in the world. I once again am faced with similar feelings. Weekends are very hard and what they remind me is I am definitely different. 

Trying to adjust to life without my husband is hard enough, but add caregiving to the mix, and there are times I truly want to scream. Each day with my parents is basically a lot like the day before. I am so tired of caregiving activities, cooking, cleaning, and shuttling people around. Sometimes a person just wants to have NO structure. To have space and time to one's self and to not have to worry about meeting another people's needs. I haven't had such a day like this in over three years. It is wearing and doing this without Peter is basically a special kind of torture. 

No comments: