Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 5, 2024

Saturday, October 5, 2024

Saturday, October 5, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2002. Mattie was six months old. A friend of mine gave me this door threshold jumper. When she first gave it to me, my reaction.... was NO WAY am I going to use this. However, we clipped it to the threshold of Mattie's bedroom door and it was a God sent. Mattie LOVED it. Mattie was all about being in control and motion. I used this jumper to sway Mattie to sleep at night and he loved jumping up and down. If there were two things that were a must in our household, they were this jumper and his "tot wheels!"


Quote of the day: The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend. ~ Heather Brewer


This afternoon, after I took my parents out and they were settled, I went outside. Being in my backyard is my oasis from trauma and caregiving stresses. In the spring I bought these beautiful "Sunny" hibiscus plants at Lowe's. To be honest, I bought them because of their name. Since my Sunny died on January 10th of 2024, I felt these glorious plants would be a tribute to an amazing and loyal dog. As the weather is starting to turn cooler, I could do one of two things... let these plants die, or transplant them and bring them inside to winter. My hope is to be able to replant them back outside in the spring. I voted on trying to transplant them, which isn't a simple job as it involved a lot of carrying heavy pots around. 
A glorious bloom, no? It is so symbolic of my Sunny!
I transplanted them from my big clay pots to these plastic pots and then carried them inside. We shall see how they do! I used to bring a lot of plants inside when I lived in the city. When we moved to the suburbs, a lot is planted in the ground, so there is not need to play the moving flower pot game. But there is something special about having greenery around you as it gets darker and colder. 
Indie was fascinated with my butterfly ginger lily plant that I brought inside tonight. Peter and I bought this plant in 2014, when we went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was a small plant, purchased at the Elizabethan Gardens. It has the most beautiful blooms, white and butterfly shaped. They are fragrant, and a mix between a gardenia and jasmine. If you should snap off the green fronds, it has a distinctive ginger fragrance. It is a plant I absolutely love and have nurtured over all these years. It goes outside in the spring and back inside in the fall!




No comments: