Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 7, 2024

Monday, October 7, 2024

Monday, October 7, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was a year and half old and fully on! As you can see he desperately wanted to touch Patches, our calico cat. Patches had a healthy caution when it came to Mattie. She was a great cat, and understood from the moment we brought Mattie home from the hospital, that he was special. She never tried to scratch him and she never hissed at him. There was a reason I called her "Nurse Patches!" We tried putting Patches' cat perch up high, but as Mattie kept on growing, there was no place Patches could safely retreat. Given the season, notice the pumpkins. Mattie loved them and was attracted to their shape and color. Also notice the sippy cup of milk. That cup was like Mattie's security blanket. It went with us everywhere, regardless of the weather. 

Quote of the day: Never. We never lose our loved ones. They accompany us; they don’t disappear from our lives. We are merely in different rooms. ~ Paulo Coelho


Tonight's quote makes me pause. I guess because when I reflect on Mattie's loss, I never view him in a "different room." I guess this is because I know Mattie died and no matter how much I would like his presence in my life, it will not physically be possible. This is quite different when talking about an ambiguous grief like with Peter. This is a type of grief that occurs when a person experiences a loss that doesn't have a clear understanding or emotional closure. It can be a painful and confusing response to a loss that seems to have no end. Though Peter may have disappeared from my life for a  year, and it is his choice not to return, in my heart and head I have trouble accepting his reality. Mainly because my reality looks and feels so different. I can see our history before my eyes and I know what we have together and the indescribable things we survived. We have earned this closeness based on time, love, longevity, producing a beautiful son together, and mutual trauma. 


I sat down this morning and did about another hour of my Dialectic Behavior Therapy continuing education course. I find this therapeutic model fascinating and actually quite useful with regards to managing ambiguous loss. What I love about the model is it helps me understand that we can accept competing and different thoughts about something at the same time. Meaning it is not one thing or another. For example, it is possible for me to be in great pain and distraught over the loss of my marriage, while at the same time, miss and long for my husband and companion of 35 years. Accepting both thoughts and feelings enables me to remove the guilt I have about these competing notions. I think all of us have a reasonable/rational side and an emotional side. The key is somehow to use both parts of our brain to help regulate our thoughts, feelings and action. By finding our "wise mind," we are better able to balance thoughts and feelings to more effectively moderate our distress. 

Today's segment talked about a skill to manage distress. 
Distress tolerance skills are intended to help distract us and get us through difficult emotional situations one moment at a time. A way to remember this skill is with the acronym: ACCEPTS.

Activities

Focus attention on a task you need to get done. Rent movies; watch TV. Clean a room in your house. Find an event to go to. Play computer games. Go walking. Exercise. Surf the Internet. Write e-mails. Play sports. Go out for a meal or eat a favorite food. Call or go out with a friend. Listen to your iPod; download music. Build something. Spend time with your children. Play cards. Read magazines, books, comics. 


Contributions

Find volunteer work to do. Help a friend or family member. Surprise someone with something nice (a card, a favor, a hug). Give away things you don’t need. Call or send an instant message encouraging someone or just to say hello. Make something nice for someone else. Do something thoughtful.

Comparisons

Compare how you are feeling now to a time when you felt different. Think about people coping the same as you or less well than you. Compare yourself to those less fortunate. Watch reality shows about others’ troubles; read about disasters, others’ suffering.


Emotions

Read emotional books or stories, old letters. Watch emotional TV shows; go to emotional movies. Listen to emotional music. (Be sure the event creates different emotions.) Ideas: Scary movies, joke books, comedies, funny records, soothing music or music that fires you up, going to a store and reading funny greeting cards.


Pushing Away

Push the situation away by leaving it for a while. Leave the situation mentally. Build an imaginary wall between yourself and the situation. Block thoughts and images from your mind. Notice ruminating: Yell “No!” Refuse to think about the painful situations. Put the pain on a shelf. Box it up and put it away for a while. Deny the problem for the moment.

Thoughts

Count to 10; count colors in a painting or poster or out the window; count anything. Repeat words to a song in your mind. Work puzzles, crosswords, Sudoku. Watch TV or read.

Sensations

Squeeze a rubber ball very hard. Listen to very loud music. Hold ice in your hand or mouth. Go out in the rain or snow. Take a hot or cold shower.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I learned about the ACCEPTS model, my initial reaction is.... wow I do many of these things already! Such as:

Activities: Gardening, pulling weeds, walking in the backyard, chores, cleaning, and cooking.

Contributions: Caregiving and Mattie Miracle!

Comparison: the instructor of the training module explained that this portion of the model can be controversial! She was singing my tune, because I DO NOT find comparisons helpful what so ever. I don't like comparing myself to others and I most definitely get nothing at looking back and hearing people say.... look what you have survived already! In my mind, I am say, BIG DEAL! That isn't going to help me now. Not with the daily torture I am faced with. 

Emotions: for me it is TV, it is my only escape. It is an area that I am continuing to work on, because it is very hard for me to find more manageable emotions. 

Push Away: this is a skill I am adept at! No training needed here. I can definitely block things out and compartmentalize for chunks of time. It is most likely how I was able to survive Mattie's diagnosis and daily crises associated with living in a hospital. 

Thoughts: Engaging one's intellect! Wow I have had a year of intense learning, outside the box of my comfort zone. Everything from bill paying, managing a house and all its intricacies, and car repairs to name a few. 

Sensations: This maybe another area that doesn't come to me naturally. But here's a story the instructor mentioned today that got me focused. I have heard the benefits of ice from my friend and colleague, but honestly cold doesn't resonate with me. Yet after hearing this story, I may think twice about my friend's recommendation. 

So here's the story. The instructor of my training class, went to university class that she was taking. Her classroom was a large room. At the front of the class, the professor had a large bowl filled with water and ice cubes sitting on a table. The professor asked for a volunteer. So a guy raised his hand and the professor chose him. The professor began by taking the student's heart rate, blood pressure, and pulse ox. Once these numbers were captured at rest, he then asked this student to run around the entire auditorium five times. Once he did his five laps, the professor once again took his heart rate, blood pressure and pulse ox. As one would expect because of exercise, the student's heart rate and blood pressure were elevated. Now here's the kicker. He then had the student dunk his face into the large bowl of water and ice and instructed him to leave his face in the water for 10 secs. He had him do this three times (dunk, come up, dunk, come up, dunk, come up). After which, he then took the student's heart rate, blood pressure and pulse ox. Want to know what he found? The student's heart rate and blood pressure were LOWER than they were at REST! So now the question is why?

Have you heard of the diver response!? This in essence explains what happened to this student. When our body is exposed to cold, all blood goes to what matters... our heart and lungs. It short circuits the brain, making the only thing our body is focused on is survival, not feelings, worries, and stress. Fascinating, so with the next panic attack that I have, out will come the ice. I will let you know if it works! 


This weekend, I brought the butterfly ginger lily plant that I have inside. Peter and I bought this beauty in North Carolina in 2014. For ten years we have nurtured it together. I have been so busy caregiving, that I missed seeing it blooming this summer. Every time I went outside, I never saw a bloom. But to my surprise, I smelled this flower before I saw it. The whole house smells of gardenias. It is glorious. This butterfly bloom came out just for me, and I feel this is very symbolic. It is hard to believe how incredibly fragrant this ONE blossom is, but it is intoxicating. Actually now that I think about the "sensation" portion of the distress model above, I am using one of my five senses to experience my world, without being focused on distress for a minute at a time! 

No comments: