Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 6, 2024

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was a year and half old and that day we took him to a Fall Festival. It was a wonderful Fall tradition that we did each year with Mattie. This was Mattie's close encounter with a sheep. Mattie loved animals, he naturally gravitated to them and yet was cautious and really did not need to be instructed not to poke, pull, or frighten these creatures.

Quote of the day: I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be. ~ Charles Dickens


I have been debating, do I decorate for Fall or forget about it. Given how I feel physically and emotionally, I would love to say the HECK with it! But I pushed through that feeling and went down to the basement and pulled out my fall things. Can you see this pumpkin plate under Mattie's Mr. Sun painting? This plate was given to me by Cheryl, our fabulous restaurant server who we see every Sunday. The little English cottages next to the plate belong to Peter's mom. Her relatives in England used to send them to her as gifts. Her collection is now in my own home. I used to admire them whenever I went to Boston, so it means a lot to me to continue the tradition. 
This is our living room. All the furniture belongs to my mom, who has beautiful taste. I always admired these pieces and now they are in my home. Do you see the table with the cloth over it? This piece was hand stitched and created by my paternal grandmother. So it is a family heirloom. 

The flower arrangement on the table is another gift Cheryl gave me, and I think it brings Fall to our living space. Before my mom left Los Angeles in 2021, her neighbor was having a yard sale. She bought this lovely reproduction painting of John Singer Sargent's, Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose. I frankly did not know the name of this piece until Kim Richards, the local artist I am working with, came to our home. As soon as she saw it, she said.... I love your Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose.

When I moved into this house, Peter and I worked hard to transform the space into a place we would all love. Keep in mind I never worked with an interior decorator. I chose colors and arranged the furniture and art work myself! It is ironic, the house is still here, but Peter isn't. It is a huge loss to my daily existence and future. One that I don't foresee ever getting over. 

In 2021, Peter's mom mailed us an inflatable pumpkin. This pumpkin sits in our front island each October. Again, I thought to myself..... should I inflate the pumpkin and stake it to the front island, or forget about it? As you can see I got it together today!
There are two areas in my kitchen that I love to decorate. This is one area!
This is the other! 
In the fall of 2021, before I moved my parents to Virginia, I went to Michael's, the craft store. I was so excited to have a craft store so close to my home. Unfortunately since that time, I have yet to be back. Life has thrown me so many curves, I do not know how I even cope. 

When I went to Michael's back then, I bought these flowers, the fall themed vase, and a fall harvest bough. I love these items. 
During that same trip to Michael's, I bought flowers, pine cones, gourds, and a Fall sign, and created this wreath with my handy glue gun! It is a wreath that I still love and I put it on our front door today.



After decorating, doing laundry and other tasks, we headed out to brunch. This is the one meal a week we go out for, and since it was a beautiful weather day, I was hoping we would have a good time. That hope was quickly crushed. My dad had a bout of diarrhea and I literally took him to the bathroom at the restaurant three times and completely changed him each time. When I tell you it is remarkable that I can eat and function after this, I am not joking. Because I am quite sure the average person would be disgusted. Thank goodness I travel with gloves, garbage bags, wipes, depends, and a change of clothing. 

Truthfully when I look at my life, I basically say... what a waste of a life. I have devoted my entire life to caring for one person after the other, and have very little to show for it. Other than exhaustion and heart break. There is no peace ever, and when I evaluate what I manage alone each day, I am surprised I am not in a puddle in the corner. I can't eat a meal (whether out or at home) in peace. My dad eats very fast, then pushes his plate away, is constantly blowing his nose at the table (with tissues everywhere), and then puts his head down and "relaxes" while the rest of us are eating. When he isn't eating or resting, he is jumping up to the bathroom. I haven't had a peaceful meal in this house since my parents moved here. 

Again, if caregiving and the fiasco associated with this was the only thing I was balancing, that would be one thing. But it is only one thing on a LONG list of other nightmares. 

No comments: