Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 10, 2011

Monday, October 10, 2011

Monday, October 10, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2005. Mattie decided to create tunnels out of his chairs and to also put blue tape on our wooden floors to represent a street. Needless to say with Mattie around things always had multiple purposes and could be used to represent different things. His chairs could be a tunnel one minute and a boat the next. Our living spaces were always filled with Mattie items and his creations.

Quote of the day: Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought. ~ Percy Bysshe Shelley


As promised, the question of the day is....................................................
Have you voted for Tricia (Mattie's nurse) today?
(Remember you can vote ONCE every 24 hours!!!)

For more information about the Johnson and Johnson Amazing Nurse Contest, please read my September 28, 2011 blog posting. Your daily vote is important and will bring Tricia closer to becoming a finalist.


Click on this link to vote for Patricia Grusholt: http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/157336/voteable_entries


Each morning, I wake up and look outside and here is what I see off in the distance.... A cute little white house. Not the typical White House I am used to in Washington, DC. This white house however is famous too because it belonged to the well known American artist, Edward Hopper. Peter and I can see why this setting would inspire Hopper and his creativity. He captured nature in a very inspiring and timeless way.

 
We found this picture of Hopper sitting in the side yard of his house with his wife in the background. This photo came from a Hopper book that we found in the house we are staying in. Peter photographed this picture for you so you could see we are talking about the same house.
Despite the mornings being cool, we do have breakfast outside on the house's deck. From the deck, off in the distance, we can see this view. What you are seeing is Provincetown. The tall tower that looks like a needle structure is Pilgrim Monument (which I show a close up picture of further down in tonight's posting). At night, it is pitch black around us, however, when I look out the window, I see Provincetown sparkling and twinkling with lights!

 
The Cape is shaped like an arm making a muscle. Provincetown is the fist, Chatham is at the elbow and Sandwich is at the shoulder. We visited Sandwich and Chatham yesterday and today we visited the fist, Provincetown.
Provincetown is hard to describe other than artsy. As we walked down the main street, you can see traditional architecture and then well other more funky things like this "soap therapy" shop! I couldn't resist taking a photo of this because I couldn't do it justice with words alone.
Here are some of the other more beautiful buildings with quaint Victorian architecture that we saw. The irony is the upper Cape feels more remote and unpopulated in comparison to the lower Cape. Well that is until you visit Provincetown. Provincetown is consistently busy and people are walking about eating and shopping.
In my second picture tonight (above) I mentioned Pilgrim's Monument. Here is a close up of it. This monument is Provincetown's symbol, not unlike we associate the Empire State building with NYC. This tower is 252 feet tall. The cornerstone was laid in 1907 and the completed tower was dedicated by President William Howard Taft in 1910. The monument commemorates the first landing of the Mayflower Pilgrims on November 21, 1620.
Along our journey we had lunch on the water at a restaurant called the Lobster Pot. Naturally you can imagine based on the name of this restaurant, what I ate for lunch!
After lunch we went to the Natural Seashore and walked on a portion of it called Race Point. When we spoke to the park ranger she told us the trail we were going to follow was three miles total round trip. She was off by three miles. We walked instead six miles through sand and dunes. We got our exercise and saw amazing natural sights. Walking through sand however is challenging so in many ways it feels like we walked much more than 6 miles. However, with me was water bottles, my blackberry (naturally), my camera, and my pedometer!

 
Along the trail were beautiful flowers. How they survive in such sandy terrain is beyond me. But here is a rose hip in bloom.
As my readers know, I am fascinated by Great Blue Herons. As we were walking, I spotted this wonderful bird in the distance, and caught him hanging out in the marsh awaiting to spot food.
In the distance we could see a lighthouse. So we walked through the marsh. This was a first for me. It felt like I was walking in a cater.
At the end of our marsh walk was the Race Point Lighthouse. So this is the fourth lighthouse I have visited in five days! What I am not showing you is that right next to the lighthouse are two houses. Both of which can be rented out! The only catch is you have to walk three miles to get to this secluded vacation spot. I DON'T think so!!!
Right next to the lighthouse is this wonderful beach. I learned that Race Point got its name from the Atlantic Ocean currents coming around the point of the Cape that creates a "race." Or as you can see fast moving water, or the currents! Many fisherman were on the beach capturing fish from these currents.
One would think the six mile walk would have been enough, but we decided to have one last visit to Ryder's Beach. This beach is located on the Bay. What I want to show you is the Bay is VERY calm and you can walk out into it several hundred feet. Peter demonstrated this to me!!!! If the water wasn't freezing, I would have ventured out with him.
After walking out several hundred feet, and the water was up a little passed Peter's knees, Peter stepped upon a sand bar.
On the sand bar, Peter began skipping stones. I captured him in his pitching stance from several hundred feet away!


As Peter was walking back to shore, he picked up a large crab in the water. You can see it in his right hand. You can also see that a seagull was intrigued by the crab and wanted to grab it right out of Peter's hand.
Viola..... I introduce you to the crab Peter picked up. Don't worry, this fellow was returned to the water safely after I saw it.
Each night as the sun goes down, we go outside on the house's deck and see this incredible sunset over the Bay. This will be missed tomorrow night. We are driving back to DC on Tuesday morning and as I am writing this blog tonight, there is a full moon outside. With this moon, we are hearing incredible howling. Yes from coyotes. Another first for me!

No comments: