Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 13, 2011

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2002. Mattie was only six months old. Mattie wasn't interested in crawling at ALL. He actually wanted to walk and run right from the beginning. He preferred standing and did not like floor time regardless of what was on the floor to stimulate and engage him. Peter's parents sent Mattie a pumpkin place mat that year, and as you can see in this picture he was holding onto it while I was doing something in the kitchen. Mattie was a social fellow and if I was in a different room in our home from him, he wasn't happy about it. So I usually landed up bringing Mattie room to room with me. From this picture, you can clearly see where I was standing. Mattie's eyes were like beacons, they always tracked in my direction.

Quote of the day:  The best things in life are appreciated most after they have been lost. ~ Roy L. Smith

As promised, the question of the day is....................................................
Have you voted for Tricia (Mattie's nurse) today?
(Remember you can vote ONCE every 24 hours!!!)

For more information about the Johnson and Johnson Amazing Nurse Contest, please read my September 28, 2011 blog posting. Your daily vote is important and will bring Tricia closer to becoming a finalist.

Click on this link to vote for Patricia Grusholt: http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/157336/voteable_entries


We are back to having non-stop rain in DC. My favorite! It seems like we have had more rain in the last several months than we have had in an entire year! Despite the rain and the lack of motivation, I did go to zumba today. I haven't done an organized exercise class in years. I mean years, maybe since college. I was apprehensive to start one for many reasons, but when I found out I knew the teacher, that inspired me to attend. Though I do not live in the city where the class is offered, it is ironic how many of the people in the class I indirectly know because of Mattie and his schools.

Some of my loyal readers may recall that at the first zumba class a woman came up to me and gave me a hug. Though I did not know her, she knew me. She is a faithful blog reader and wanted to thank me for my writings and to let me know she thinks of me each day. That was a lovely introduction to the class, and it made me feel that I in essence belonged there. It is some times hard to be surrounded by moms, and yet not be a mom myself. However, in this group, because they don't know me as "Mattie's mom," I can be Vicki, the person. After class today, many of the women were going out to lunch together. My new friend invited me to join them. My first internal reaction was to say no to the invitation, but that wasn't what came out of my mouth. I instead said yes. I am sure to my readers, hearing that someone asked me out to lunch and to join their group doesn't sound earth shattering. But from my perspective it is. It is because most of my social circles have dwindled. I no longer have the school events, the soccer games, and working at the University to introduce me to new people and to develop friends. Instead, my days are more quiet and independent. I am usually working on Foundation efforts, but again this can be isolating.

So to be asked out to lunch and included was a special gift today. It is funny how a simple gesture from some one can make a big difference to the recipient.

The rest of the day I spent focused on Foundation items and then later in the day I went to visit Mary (Ann's mom). Mary has a neurological disease that at times makes it impossible for her to communicate verbally. Unlike my past two visits, Mary was able to say a few things to me today. She knew about my trip to Cape Cod and asked me about that, she also let me know that she missed me. While visiting with Mary, I also saw Catherine. Catherine is a resident at the facility and she wanted me to know that she misses my company too and wanted to know if I would come and visit her after my time with Mary. As Karen, my lifetime friend, says to me all the time, my best friends typically are those in their 80s. This age group relates to me. I am not sure exactly why, but I do think being raised in a multigenerational household greatly influenced my preferences, values, and outlook on life.  

No comments: