Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 15, 2015

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Wednesday, April 15, 2015


Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. For Mattie's birthday that year, we put up paper, puzzles, and all sorts of activities on the wall for him and his cousins to do! Mattie just loved the whole notion of coloring on the wall! So much so that I left the papers up for days so he could continue the fun. As you can see in this photo, Peter got home from work and Mattie immediately engage him at the door with a marker and wanted him to start drawing on the wall!






Quote of the day: The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web.Pablo Picasso


I had my first kindergarten class art session today at Mattie's school. It started at 8:30am. Not my hour, especially since I was up yet again working late. I have been teaching this three part art series for five years now. It is hard to believe, because it seems like just yesterday I was struggling to develop the curriculum. My experience teaching has always been with adult learners. So the notion of teaching 5 and 6 year olds was rather daunting! Yet having raised a child, helped tremendously because I knew how to gauge the attention span and understood what appealed to their curiosity. 

After Mattie died, Donna (another kindergarten teacher at Mattie's school) asked me to tea in her classroom. Mind you I really did not know Donna. I only knew her through my friend Junko, since Junko's son completed kindergarten in Donna's classroom. Over tea Donna mentioned that she wanted to find opportunities for me to come into her classroom. She had heard that I came into Mattie's kindergarten classroom when he was a student, and that Mattie's teacher appreciated all my efforts. Which was lovely to hear. But again, as I reminded Donna, my teaching experience was not with little ones. As Donna continued to talk she asked me my interests and I must have mentioned I loved art. One thing lead to another and she told me about the children's book by Nina Laden that she reads to her class entitled, When Pigasso met Mootisse. Clearly the book is about Picasso and Matisse and it touches upon these wonderful artists but in a farm animal sort of way. Donna had always wanted to take the next step and build upon the concepts in this book but just never had the time. That is where I came in..... five years ago to be exact.

I spent months researching Picasso and Matisse. I got to know about them separately as artists as well as their competitive relationship with one another. In many ways they were jealous of each other and yet at the same time intrigued by the other. They studied one another's art very closely and in a way mimicked the other at times, as they painted similar content and scenes. Though they had drastically different styles. 

My goal is to make these artists come alive for the children and I find the way to do this, is to insert real life details about the artists' lives into my talk. Details that a child would find interesting and memorable. Such as..... Picasso loved to keep a messy studio. In fact, his studio was lined with garbage, dust, and even had mice in it. He preferred painting at night and in complete silence! Picasso began painting as a child and I show the children art work he painted when he was only 14. By the end of today, the children learned that Picasso was born in Spain, that he was the Father of Cubism (which wasn't well received at the time ---- painting subject matter by using shapes), painted from his imagination, and was very influenced by his emotions (as he had blue and rose periods of painting as a result of sadness from the death of a friend and happiness over falling in love).  

I know the children also love stories! They are used to hearing stories from books and books tell stories through words. Today, I explained to them that paintings also can tell stories! However, the stories aren't conveyed in words. Instead they are conveyed in colors, shapes, and patterns. These colors can make us feel a certain way and yet we do not always react the same way to a color. For example, I may feel one way about red and you may feel a different way about it! To illustrate my point, I took a sheet of colored paper and taped it to the back of Donna. Only the students could see the color on the paper. Donna had NO IDEA what color was taped to her back. I then asked the students to describe how the color made them FEEL! Based on their descriptions Donna then had to guess what color she was wearing. She was wearing the color red! Interestingly enough two distinct feelings were expressed by the class.... angry/mad and happy! 

Then came the hands on activity. On a large piece of poster board Peter traces "Woman with a Hat" for me. This to me is a great and simple Picasso for the children to work on in teams. So picture getting a large white poster board with black lines on it and the students then have to color it in. However, they aren't shown this actual Picasso, so they literally do not know what they are coloring in. Therefore it is left up to their IMAGINATION to see shapes and colors as they so chose within the lines I give them. You will see what they came up with below. 

There were four groups working on this project today. Here is one of the creations. In the five years I have been doing this, I would say this year's class was very collaborative, they used their words and checked in with each other about the joint creations they were forming as a team. Because literally there were three children working on each poster board. 







We gave the children eight different paint colors to work with. This particular group found that too limiting and decided to mix paints and create their own colors. 















What I always find intriguing about this is that every year children add dots, stripes, and patterns to their cubist painting. Why this interests me is because this is very Matisse like, which is the artist we cover next week. To me children naturally gravitate to the bold colors and patterns of Matisse. 









The wonderful part about all of this is that the children's parents will be coming into the classroom tomorrow. What a wonderful artistic surprise they will have, because you can't miss these creations! 

No comments: