Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 14, 2015

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 -- Mattie died 292 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. Mattie was two years old. Mattie absolutely loved his frog sandbox and spent many a day and sometimes evenings outside on our deck in the sand. Mattie had all sorts of things in the sandbox and as he got older he even brought pieces of wood into the box to design ramps for his cars! This sandbox now sits outside our deck space in the commons area. Since Mattie died, all the neighboring children come to play in the box. The irony is NO ONE has ever asked me whether their child can play in the box, they just help themselves. I remember the first time I saw children playing in Mattie's box, I was mortified. I have gotten used to the sights and sounds now. On occasion, parents wave to me from my window, since I can see them while I work from my desk through Mattie's bedroom window. Some days I am fine with the sight and of course some days it is bittersweet. 


Quote of the day: Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time, who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done, if we are always doing. ~ Thomas Jefferson




Today was another extremely long day, in which I find I am suffering from migraines and probably shouldn't even be on the computer. I started the day reconnecting with a former student of mine. She has been living in San Francisco for the past five years, and returned to DC for a visit. Tess has decided to go to nursing school and wanted to share with me her thoughts on this decision. Tess got to know Mattie during his battle and also interacted with him during the first Walk that he attended in 2009. I find it quite ironic that two of my students who were avid blog readers during Mattie's cancer journey have now chosen to become nurses! 



Later today I went to Mattie's school. For the next three weeks, in addition to balancing the Foundation's walk preparations, I will teaching my three part art series within one of the kindergarten classes. Donna told me today that I have been doing this for five years. Somehow it doesn't seem that long! When I went to School today to set up for tomorrow's lesson, I passed Mattie's tree! The daffodil bulbs we planted around the tree in the Fall are in full bloom and are delightful!








Donna, the wonderful kindergarten teacher I have had the pleasure of working with and getting to know over these years, surprised me with this beautiful hand decorated flower pot today. This was a gift her students from last year created for me. These are hand painted butterflies on the outside of the flower pot! 










On the inside of the flower pot, it says "thank you!" The children wanted me to know that I was appreciated and they enjoyed my visits last year. It was a very special gift to receive today!



No comments: