Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 18, 2015

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004 at the Reston Zoo. To me this photo is priceless. I am not sure who was more entertaining to watch, Mattie or Peter! Peter was feeding the sheep and Mattie was behind him intrigued and glued in place watching the goats. 



Quote of the day: Assertiveness is not what you do, it's who you are! ~ Shakti Gawain


Today we had our day all planned out for us. We wanted to go to the Christmas Tree Shops in Waldorf, MD to do some final shopping for our Foundation's raffle. This is a store I venture to every April with either Peter or my raffle chair, Carolyn. Yet when we got into our car, a warning light came on and we realized the car was not operational. Absolutely NOT what we needed today. The car was leaking anti-freeze and the irony is I had the same problem last year with the change of season. In any case, instead of moving on with our day, we were diverted to calling AAA and our car dealership. AAA was great, our car dealership was another story. 

The service rep at our dealership hung up on Peter twice and Peter was trying to get answers as to whether the dealership had a loaner car available for us to use while they serviced our car. Otherwise it made no sense for Peter to ride out with the tow truck if there was no car to pick up to return home in! In any case, I was listening to these frustrating phone calls and I realized we were not getting answers and we needed them before the tow truck arrived looking for decisions from us. So I decided to call the dealership myself and instead of talking to a service rep, I demanded to talk to a manager. Within minutes the director of customer service called me back and needless to say all my issues were taken care of instantly and a loaner car was secured, not to mention that we were reassigned to the service rep that I love, Sharon. Sharon has a dad who is battling cancer and Sharon and I just understand each other. She is very attached to her car, so she gets my own attachments. Needless to say thanks to Joe, the director of customer service and Sharon, we were able to have a productive day and move on and get our shopping done. 

I can officially say that we are shopped out tonight after many hours of shopping. We hit more than just the Christmas Tree Shop, but the wonderful part about Waldorf, MD, is that stores are right next to each other. So I literally can bounce from one store to the next. In fact, I had the pleasure of exploring Michael's craft store. I have always loved AC Moore, but I think Michael's may be bigger and have more of a selection. I can't believe I am saying that, since I love AC Moore. 



When we were driving home this evening, we passed National Harbor with its Ferris wheel. It lights up a pretty purple at night. 








We also started to see the sun setting. Which was a beautiful sight. 












When we got home, Peter took me outside to see our neighborhood crabapple trees. They are glorious and SO fragrant. I guess I have passed these trees for years, but never really payed attention to them. So I am glad Peter suggested we walk to see and smell them tonight. 














No comments: