Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 9, 2018

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2005. This was Mattie's third trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. He was three years old and by that point had learned to appreciate the ocean and sand. Mattie had a very cautious side to him, so I really never had to worry that he was going to touch the stove, get into cleaning products, or jump into water. Peter took this photo of us around July 4th! Mattie had his red on in celebration of the occasion. 



Quote of the day: Take a long walk alone in the woods - leave the cellphone and music player at home. Your whole being will appreciate it. Jonathan Lockwood Huie


This was our view this morning from our Residence Inn balcony in Raleigh. There was a lot to watch from my perch as there were many graduations taking place and we could see graduates and families hustling about. This is a photo of the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts and there was a lot of activity around it today. Including flower stands selling bouquets for graduates. 
Raleigh is actually very flat. You can see clouds and trees for as far as the eye can see. 
We got on the road at 11am to head for Kiawah Island in South Carolina. It was about a five hour drive from Raleigh, NC. As we were getting close to the South Carolina border, I kept seeing all sorts of advertisements for "South of the Border" things. I was thoroughly confused because the only thing south of the border that I am used to hearing about is Mexico. But South of the Border here, was referring to South of North Carolina..... which puts you into South Carolina. Do you just love the South of the Border sign with the sombrero water tower when we reached South Carolina? I thought it was adorable and they have a whole theme park geared for kids at this turn off.  
Meanwhile, I took this photo because I can't get over this..... this is what I-95 South looks like. I am used to I-95 North, which looks NOTHING like this. I-95 North is congested, filled with bumper to bumper traffic, unstable drivers, and lots of advertisements and signs. But I-95 is beautiful and what surrounds you is nature. It prepares you for the fact that you are leaving the stress and aggressiveness of the northeast. 

I would say we had a very rainy drive to South Carolina. But as we approached Kiawah Island, you could see all the inlets and tidal marshes. 
Then we entered Kiawah Island. Peter and I have heard about this Island for years from our friends. We finally decided to venture further than North Carolina and check it out. You have to be a resident or renter to get onto Kiawah Island. There is a guard gate that prevents visiting traffic from getting in. So it already sets up a dynamic of calmness, as we are not surrounded by a lot of people and my friends tell me it is such a safe and friendly island. 

I can't tell you what a wonderful sight this was to see... our living room with a view! After two days of traveling, it was worth it. Last year's Outer Banks experience was a nightmare. Our condo was a disaster and I spent more time cleaning and complaining to management about it. This year, it is a completely different. Right now as I am writing the blog on our balcony, this is what I am seeing......

A wonderful buck!















This is our view of the Atlantic from our living room. More photos tomorrow. Right now I am going to try to learn to unwind and relax. Neither of which I do well anymore since Mattie died. 




No comments: