Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 29, 2021

Monday, November 29, 2021

Monday, November 29, 2021 

Tonight's picture was taken on November 28, 2008. Mattie was home from the hospital and despite the fact that we were dealing with cancer and a host of psychological issues, we still kept the holiday light tradition. Peter and Mattie would work the day after Thanksgiving to create a special creation, which brightened all of our Decembers. Peter and I haven't decorated for Christmas since 2008. Thirteen years of no Christmas in our home. Given that my parents are moving in with us, we will most likely dust off our decorations and celebrate Christmas once again in our home. This is a big change, since for me the holiday died in 2009 with Mattie. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 48,429,713
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 778,232

Today did not go how I planned it. My plan was to go out this morning while my dad's caregiver was here to run chores. Chaos ensued and I never left the house. My mom wanted to change her address for social security, which also impacted Medicare. I tried to change her address on-line, by establishing her an on-line account. It did not work and therefore I had to proceed to a phone call. Have you ever tried calling Social Security? It's an experience. For the first call I was on hold for 90 minutes. After 90 minutes, the call dropped (which the recording on the Social Security phone line prepared the listener by saying this could happen) and I had to call back and wait in cue again. The second time I waited an hour until a representative appeared. Fortunately it was a lovely lady who helped me with both my parents' account. But here's the kicker. The address on file with the agency was where my parents lived two houses ago. Meaning their address from 2018. In 2018, I moved them out of their house into another house. Then in 2020, I moved them again to where they are now. So for almost three years now, Social Security did not have their updated address. 

Literally the entire time my dad's caregiver was here, I was on the phone with Social Security. Yes I got their address updated, but I accomplished nothing else. Meanwhile I know that the movers are coming to pack up things on Monday, a week from today. The clock is ticking and I can't find time to even purchase packing boxes. I am very frustrated. 

After this ordeal, we then went to mail items I packed up for my parents. I packed things last night and addressed them. When I got to the mailing company, I realized I wrote my address wrong. Instead of 3100, I wrote 31. I was besides myself especially when I see my dad's cognitive decline. I naturally think I am losing it too. In any case, I corrected the issue and the packages are on their way. From there, we went to the bank. Though I thought I was on my parent's bank account, I turn out NOT to be. Despite having all the legal paperwork, including durable power of attorney. The bank wouldn't add me to their account, without seeing the legal paperwork. Not just a copy, they want to see the original documents. I wanted to scream, but held it together, as the banker was trying to help us. So I did find the original forms that I fortunately filed in my mom's cabinet over the summer. But that means I now need to go back to the bank. We did update their new address and order them new checks. Got to celebrate the small things.

I am signing off now, because I want to focus on drawers and closets and begin to make piles to pack. Fortunately one of my dad's caregivers is willing to take anything we wish to leave behind. A major, major help, so I don't need to work about where to donate items. As this caregiver is associated with many non-profits, and I know the items will go to good use. 

No comments: