Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 2, 2021

Thursday, December 2, 2021

Thursday, December 2, 2021 

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was home recovering from surgery and that evening we met his cousins and some of his preschool buddies to go to the National Zoo's light show. Mattie's preschool was one of a kind and it was through his school that I met many of my extraordinary friends. Friends who stand behind the Foundation and are committed to its success. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 48,823,110
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 785,767

Everything takes me ten times longer than I think it will. While my dad's caregiver was here today, I wanted to focus on the room that I stay in, to pack up the closet, the items in the bureaus, and the bathroom closet. I thought this was going to take me an hour, two at most. It took me four hours. In fact, after I finish typing the blog, I am going back at it. My hopes is to finish that room tonight, so that I can start combing through my parent's bedroom, closets, and bathroom tomorrow. Mind you I have been going through closets throughout the entire house all week. But each time I go at it, I am able to throw out, pack, or add to my donate pile. My donate pile is like a mountain right now. 

If there is any doubt, there are reminders of Mattie here in California. I found several of his drawings in one of the bureaus. This was actually a  menu from a restaurant in Florida called Sea Watch. Mattie and I were completely different kids. Even at an early age, I was fascinated by people watching, and enjoyed going out to eat as a child, both for the food and the people. Mattie did not have an interest in food or eating. So for him, going out to eat was a feat of entertainment for Peter and me. We had to keep him very busy and engaged, otherwise, he would want to leave the table and the restaurant. 

Another Mattie creation! I loved how Mattie wrote his name. Notice that all the letters are capitalized, except the letter i. Which had a cute dot over it!
I found some photos of Peter and me from our Alaska cruise in 2011. In this photo, we were eating outside at a BBQ of fresh caught salmon. I actually dislike salmon, but fresh caught salmon was delicious. Ironically I used to love salmon, then I got pregnant with Mattie, and my ability to eat salmon changed overnight. 
Peter and me in front of the Sapphire Princess. 

No comments: