Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 30, 2021

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Tuesday, November 30, 2021 -- Mattie died 635 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. Mattie was five years old and we took him to Boston for Thanksgiving. As you can see we found some ducks and swans. Mattie was thrilled, as he loved all aspects of nature. 



Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 48,530,447
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 779,923


Every morning I wake up at 6am, and I have an agenda of what I want to get done. Forget it! Here in paradise my agenda goes right out the window. 

In theory my dad has a caregiver here from 8am to noon. Though that should make my life easier, it doesn't! Today I was ready to flip out. I got all my parents bins out of their storage closet. Each bin was nested tightly into the other, so it literally took me an hour to separate the bins. It is 4:30pm, and I am still cleaning dust and dirt out of the bins. As I plan on using these bins like packing boxes. I am thrilled I found these bins, because I have yet to have a free moment to buy packing boxes for my parents. Instead, I will fill each of these bins with non-breakable items. I plan on having the movers do all the breakables, so they will cover any damages if they occur. 

While I was in the garage dealing with bins, my dad's caregiver came out and asked me for a lightbulb. Not for our home, but for her own home. She noticed a particular bulb we had in our storage closet and she said she needed it for her home (if we weren't going to use it). I literally unpacked the two bins that I had just loaded with bulbs to accommodate her request. This is the kind of stuff you deal with whenever you have someone else in your home. Which is why I am truly NOT looking forward to having caregivers in my home. 

No matter how lovely the caregiver is, you have to work around them, their schedule, questions, small talk and the list goes on. This caregiver today started talking with me about things in the house she felt needed to be cleaned. Again, if I saw something needed to be cleaned, I would just do it. She sees I am doing twenty things at one time, why not step up and help. Less commentary, more action.

Any case, I am going back to the garage of bins, with the hope that I can begin filling them tonight. Mind you I have been throwing things out (which involved needing my neighbor's garbage cans too) and making donation piles. There is just not enough hours in a day and I realize there is only one of me. If I could focus on packing, I would have half a chance, but I am balancing phone calls to deal with change of address requests, doctor appointments, taking my parents out to lunch and the list goes on. 

No comments: