Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 4, 2021

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Saturday, December 4, 2021 

Tonight's picture was taken on December 18, 2008. Mattie was home post-surgery and as you can see decided to hobble his way to the piano to play. Unfortunately that year, Mattie was supposed to start piano lessons. It never happened. However, Mattie had a natural musical talent. He would go up to the keys and make up his own compositions. 

We got this piano from our neighbor, Susan. When she was leaving our complex, she got a hold of me and said that Mattie needed a piano, and he needed to learn to play. Susan gave us the piano for free, we just needed to get it from her townhouse into ours. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 49,048,850
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 788,183

Today was frenetic. At 7am, I was washed, dressed, and running around the house. One of my dad's caregivers rented Uhauls today to help us pick up items for donation. Which was an enormous help. I just had to create piles. This was today's pile. In addition to this pile was my mom's roses in clay pots and their outdoor furniture. 
One of the Uhauls! 
My dad has caregivers who visit for four hours daily. This is Claudia. Today we had to say good-bye to her after working together for a year and a half. It is bittersweet, as my dad has very competent, reliable, and trustworthy caregivers. 
I was literally directing traffic today on my parent's driveway, which is very long and narrow. We had his caregiver visiting, their manicurist, DJ, who you see here, and two Uhauls. I think it is very hard to leave behind your home of 37 years and the friends who have become an important part of your life. 
I took my dad to see Gerrie today. Gerrie has her own health concerns, but she gave my dad a hair cut today and we got to reminiscence about her connection with my dad since 1984!
Claudia snapped this photo of us today! The fact that I am standing upright is remarkable. 

No comments: