Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 1, 2021

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Wednesday, December 1, 2021 

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. I remember this day as if it were yesterday. Mattie's "girlfriend" had a birthday party, and she wanted to make sure Mattie could attend. Fortunately he was between hospital visits and got the special guest seat right next to the birthday girl. As so many of us are cognizant about germs and social distancing now, this is actually how people with cancer live each day of their lives. Therefore allowing Mattie out in public and in social situations like this took great courage. But I had to weigh his potential for catching an illness with living his life. I am so glad I chose living his life to his full potential. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 48,685,278
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 781,961


We had to get my dad up and out the door by 9am today. I made a dermatology appointment for him because I had no idea what this big black thing was on his face (this is not a photo of my dad, but one I got off the internet.... yet my dad's looks a bit like this). He has one on his left cheek and right earlobe. Turns out it is called
Seborrheic Keratoses. Or in other words a type of wort. 

Specifically seborrheic keratosis is one of the most common noncancerous skin growths in older adults. While it's possible for one to appear on its own, multiple growths are more common. Seborrheic keratosis often appears on the face, chest, shoulders, or back. It has a waxy, scaly, slightly elevated appearance. The doctor used liquid nitrogen and froze it off. I can't say it looks better, but as it heals, it should get better. 

In addition to everything else today, my parents landlord wanted to show their home today to a potential renter. Totally hysterical, as I have boxes and bins everywhere. I had to organize the chaos to make it look better. The landlord came in and turned on all the lights and we opened the windows to air out the home (as my parents like it hot!). In any case can you imagine dealing with this three ring circus on top of everything else? Some moments I feel I could crack up. Once the potential renters left, I had to go around and close windows and lights. Honestly. 

I have a long night of more packing ahead of me. However, this afternoon, I helped my mom put Christmas notes and gifts together for the people who care for them. One of the people on the list is my dad's hairstylist. Someone he has known for 30+ years. Therefore, I would hope he would have some kind message he wanted me to write in her card. When I asked him, all he said was 'wishing you a Merry Christmas.' I admit my response wasn't so nice. I basically said 'after all these years with her, this is all you have to say!' My response, caused him to get angry and explode. He doesn't know what we want from him and he particularly doesn't like when I ask him to talk and express himself. Which I usually do whenever we eat, as I would like he to be part of our conversation. Honestly if I do not prod him, he'd say NOTHING all day! He says he is listening, but what is really happening is he is in a fog and checked out. Of course after I snapped at him, I felt guilty, but I guess I am not letting him go out of life quietly.

No comments: