Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 15, 2022

Friday, April 15, 2022

Friday, April 15, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on April 4, 2009, Mattie's 7th and last birthday. That day we had a small party for him in the child life playroom of the hospital. Mattie went into the playroom in the morning and started decorating it for his friends, who came after school that day. It was a happy moment for Mattie and the child life team really worked hard to make sure Mattie and his friends had a great time. After all for Mattie the hospital was like a second home, but for children in general, a hospital can be a scary place. Child life understood this and thought about all the issues that could arise that day, making my job easier, as I could then focus on Mattie. 


Quote of the day: The human capacity for burden is like bamboo – far more flexible than you’d ever believe at first glance. ~ Jodi Picoult


This morning I was at the breakfast table with my dad. I took another approach today. I went on-line and downloaded the memory care center's schedule of activities and meals for each day. I decided to prep my dad for the day ahead at the Center, in hopes this would help him engage with the activities and potentially remember something. At 10am today, the schedule said "violin with Anthony." I immediately stopped in my tracks. I knew immediately who this was! Do you see this photo taken in March of 2009 at Georgetown University Hospital? The man on the right, playing the violin, is Anthony! Anthony knew Mattie very well. Mattie loved all the visiting artists, and the artists knew him. Mattie was a very memorable fellow. So much so that when my friend Margy was treated at a Northern Virginia hospital, Anthony came one day to entertain the patients. Margy started talking to Anthony, and when she learned he also volunteered at Georgetown, she asked if he knew us. Of course his answer was YES. ALL these years later and Anthony still volunteers his time at hospitals, nursing homes, and even my dad's memory care center. A special person!

Any case, I told my dad this story about Mattie and Anthony and I told my dad to ask Anthony if he worked at Georgetown. If he did, then he should let Anthony know that he is Mattie's grandfather. My dad may not remember much, but he actually remembered our conversation. A conversation I went over repeatedly at breakfast and then the car trip to the Center. Indeed the Anthony we knew at Georgetown is the SAME Anthony at my dad's memory care center. My dad and Anthony had a lovely chat today apparently. I consider these little moments yet another gift Mattie left behind for me.


I forgot to share this photo. But on Wednesday, the day after my dad's birthday, I made a 6 pound leg of lamb. I literally braised it for six hours in the oven. It was delicious and all of us loved it, including Sunny. For years I thought cooking a leg of lamb was difficult. But I decided to just try it this week, and I learned it was SUPER easy. Nothing to fear. 
The flowers are blooming on the farm. The beauty of our cherry trees. 

Meanwhile, I was supposed to connect with Sunny's vet today. Peter and I are awaiting on pins and needles. The vet told me to call him at 1pm today. So I did! Turns out when I called he left for the day. Who does this? I am awaiting Sunny's test results and next steps, and Sunny is an important member of our family. Not to follow through like you promised me doesn't win you points in my book. I conveyed my feelings about this to the clinic and they promised me the doctor will call tonight or tomorrow. He just better is all I can say. So we wait.

No comments: