Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 11, 2022

Monday, April 11, 2022

Monday, April 11, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on April 4, 2009, on Mattie's 7th birthday. This was Mattie's last birthday with us. He had a party both in the hospital and at a friend's house. Next to Mattie was Brandon. Mattie and Brandon were diagnosed around the same time. They were ten years apart, but this age difference did not affect their connection. They understood and appreciated each other. Brandon's treatment lasted about three months. However, after his treatment was over, he consistently came back to the hospital to visit with Mattie. Truly a devoted friend and I learned a lot from their beautiful friendship. 



Quote of the day: You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them. ~ Maya Angelou


Indie is a funny cat. As it begins to turn to spring, she desperately wants her outdoor time. We trained her when we lived in the city NOT to leave our deck. However, there are too many temptations in the backyard of our house, so we know she can only come outside on the porch if we are there with her. Indie loves smelling the breezes and she is very interested in birds. 
Meanwhile, Sunny regally sits in the backyard. I got up this morning at 6am because I had things to do before I got my dad up at 8:30am. Literally the first time I sat down today was around 5pm. It was non-stop tasks and work. 

At around 12:30pm, I decided to take Sunny for a walk. I look forward to my walks to clear my head and get fresh air. However, today's walk was a nightmare. Sunny was limping and I felt I was dragging him home. Basically I can't catch a break anywhere. 

Fortunately we have a vet appointment tomorrow, because the vet is giving Sunny a diagnostic ultrasound for preventative purposes (as tumors can form at Sunny's age and if caught early, they can be removed by surgery). Naturally I will have the doctor examine all of Sunny's limbs and paws. Sunny is 10 years old and is considered a senior dog. Not something I like hearing about, as the vet was preparing us for the fact that Sunny maybe coming to the end of his life. You can imagine when he started down this road with us two weeks ago, I wasn't having any of it.

Meanwhile, my day was filled with one chore after the other..... changing bed linens, laundry, making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, doing brain games with my dad, and having him walk in ten minute increments. The weather was pleasant this afternoon, so I brought my dad outside to walk for ten minutes. Walking outside wiped him out, and he got about half way down our street, and I turned him around to go back home. Fortunately his outdoor walker has a built in seat, as I had him take two rest breaks. Tomorrow is my dad's 87th birthday, and despite the chaos we live in, our goal is to make it a happy day for him.  

No comments: