Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 2, 2022

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2003. Mattie was 11 months old and it was his first trip to Los Angeles. That day we took him to Huntington Gardens. Mattie loved being outside and was calmer when in nature. Which is why I now prefer being outside than inside. His personality rubbed off on me. I snapped this photo and it will always remind me of Mattie's favorite form of transportation... sitting up high on Peter's back. 


Quote of the day: It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. ~ Edmund Hillary


It is rather appropriate that I selected a quote from Sir. Edmund Hillary tonight. Each morning, as part of the brain games I have designed for my dad, we do a reading comprehension passage (today's was about Mt. Everest and Sir Edmund Hillary). Literally I buy workbooks through Amazon designed for school aged children. Our current book is at the 5th grade reading level. Each morning, we read a passage together and then my dad tries to answer the questions pertaining to the passage in order to work on his memory and comprehension skills. This is NOT one of my dad's favorite activities, but I am a big proponent of repetition. The more we do something, the more familiar it becomes to us. In the beginning my dad hated these reading comprehension books and couldn't process anything. Mostly because if left to his own devices he skips reading the passage and instead goes to the questions and tries to answer them. Which is why I do ALL his activities with him. That way I can make sure he is pushing himself to use skills or learn new ones. I remind him constantly that like the body, the brain also follows a use it or lose it principle. 

I woke up at 6:30am because our cleaning ladies were coming today. I have worked with the same cleaning woman since 2008, when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. My neighbor, JP, paid for her to clean our townhouse back then because he knew I was on overload. It was a very special gift and from that moment on, I have been working with Blanca ever since. I know about her four boys and she knows about my family. Given that I can't possibly manage our house now on my own, she is even more of a God sent than before. However, because she arrives at 9am, I have to get my dad up, showered, dressed, and eating breakfast before she arrives. As I try not to get underfoot with her work. After I got my dad settled this morning, I took my mom out. This is the first time we have really ventured out to do something other than a big chore. 

We went to the bank, CVS, and stopped for the first time at a local farmer's market. Apparently my neighborhood has one every Saturday throughout the year. My mom and I had a good time walking around and chatting with the different local vendors. In the warmer months I would like to make this a Saturday tradition. As I firmly believe in supporting local farmers. I came home with all sorts of vegetables, apples, and even fresh herbs to plant in our garden. More work for Peter, but I suspect he appreciates any excuse to get outside, get fresh air, and be one with nature. 

Later this afternoon, we took my parents out for an early dinner. We venture ONLY to three restaurants. Since we go on a regular basis, we have become regulars. The management and many of the wait staff know us. Which helps me greatly given all that I am balancing. My dad looked out of it all day and though he likes going out to eat, I wonder how long we can continue this, as he looks half asleep while eating. In addition, he is so focused on eating that he lands up putting a ton of food in his mouth and then has trouble swallowing. It truly is hard to watch him and I constantly have to remind him to stop eating, to chew, and perhaps say a few words to slow down his eating pace. Needless to say I live on constant edge waiting for the next shoe to drop, and at times my own food doesn't go down correctly. All I can do is take it one day at a time. I have lived under the worst of circumstances before, so I know what it is like living with great stress and having to put my own needs on hold. I may know about it and how how to live this way, but it doesn't necessarily mean I like it. 

No comments: