Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 28, 2022

Monday, March 28, 2022

Monday, March 28, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2005. Mattie was almost three years old. As you can see we were working hard that day to keep Mattie busy. Peter put painter's tape on the floor to help Mattie with his play schemes. Mattie was in constant motion and my joke was he had two speeds, on and off. Nothing in between!



Quote of the day: Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.Leo Buscaglia


It was frigid today! Despite the bitter cold and winds, Peter and I wanted to support my friend Margy's family. As today marks the one year anniversary of her death from ovarian cancer. When Margy died last year, I was in Los Angeles helping my parents. Therefore I was unable to attend her funeral or go to the cemetery. 

I have to admit after Mattie died, I really am not a fan of going to funerals or cemeteries. I am sure that sounds ridiculous, but it is my reality. 

In honor of Margy's anniversary, our Foundation newsletter went out today to our supporters and I also created this photographic garden flag and brought it to the cemetery. On it I wrote... Hope Grows Here. It is a play on words as Margy ran a childhood cancer non-profit for twenty years called, Growing Hope. 

I do not know if you can see all the trinkets around Margy's memorial plaque. There are shells, toys, flowers, stones, and all sorts of messages. It really is whimsical and captures her spirit. 

The family held a gathering today by the gravesite. I was so impressed that so many people showed up. We were all bundled up but that did not stop us from sharing memories, stories, and reflections. 
While at the cemetery, I noticed others coming to visit the gravesites of their family members. In turns out that Margy's husband has become friends with these individuals. People united in grief, is a very powerful force. Though we did not know each other's loved ones, we all understand the hole that loss produces. It was a cold weather gathering, but nonetheless one that helps us all process the day and our feelings. 

No comments: