Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 29, 2022

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 -- Mattie died 652 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2003. Mattie was 11 months old and it was his first trip to Los Angeles. I had a conference to attend in Anaheim, so we all went out. Mattie had big trouble adjusting to the time difference, so for the first several days he was up at 4am, which was 7am east coast time. Peter and I felt like walking zombies. No matter how we encouraged Mattie to go back to sleep, he just wouldn't do it. No surprise to me as Mattie had two modes.... on and off. Once on, it was very difficult shutting Mattie off. 




Quote of the day: Normalize being a little crazy for what you believe in. ~ Maxime Lagacé


Today I feel totally out of it. I have been dealing with a head cold for days now and standing outside yesterday at my friend's memorial and walking Sunny, did not help me. My only symptoms are a post nasal drip, a sore throat at times, and sinus pressure and congestion. What I need is sleep, rest, and no stress. Not going to happen here. 

I did my usual routine and chores, and dealt with a nurse's visit to examine my dad. Later this afternoon, I sat down and put together a Google docs form for the Foundation. I have wanted to create an application for families coping with childhood cancer to apply for funding for therapy sessions. In fact, I am working with a social worker in Michigan, who has earmarked one of her patients to be the first recipient of our funding program. She is working with me to help design the form and the logistics for such a request. Ironically there are NOT many non-profits out there that provide financial support for therapy.  

Though my days are very full, I am determined not to let the Foundation fall by the wayside. I assure you this isn't easy given all that I am balancing. But as our supporters know, we won $10,000 (through Shark Tank) to start this new therapy initiative, and I am committed to make it happen this year! 

Here's what the application is beginning to look like..........................

"Families of children with cancer are typically referred within the community to professionals who can help support their psychosocial needs and concerns. Families face a host of mental health issues as a result of a childhood cancer diagnosis, such as depression, anxiety, medical traumatic stress, substance abuse, and eating disorders. Therapeutic support has been shown to improve health outcomes and quality of life. Mattie Miracle is committed to helping families access such support.

Mattie Miracle is offering funding support for therapy sessions with a licensed mental health provider for children with cancer and their families. The Foundation will reimburse families up to $1,000 for sessions. 

Families can apply for Mattie Miracle Therapy Support only once, but we will consider an additional request based on need. After submitting your application, you can expect to receive a follow-up email within three weeks.

Questions, please reach out to Mattie Miracle's President at: vicki@mattiemiracle.com."

No comments: